Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Weatherduino troubleshooting

Hello coupe pete,
(12-01-2023, 02:36)coupe pete Wrote:  Just wondering how to find the correct TX module.
The parts list i found says it should be a  KXD-10036 RF Transmitter Module 433MHZ which is what i currently have and seems impossible to find. 
I found a thread by Werk which references a different type of part ? link shown below :-
433Mhz Wireless Transmitter ASK DC 3-12V Perfect for Arduino/ARM/AVR | eBay
Is either fine or do i need an exact replacement for what I have ?

You are right, the KXD10036 module somehow disappeared completely...
But the one you found on eBay has a power of "only" 15 dBm, I recommend using the H34C 433 MHz module. It should have a power of more than 25 dBm.
(Better range.)
I also remembered that you probably wrote somewhere that the TX LED doesn't blink either. This could indicate a faulty switching MOSFET T1 2N7000.

Good luck!

Best Regards
Zdenek

[Image: banner.php]
My outdoor AQM-I: here

(12-01-2023, 02:36)coupe pete Wrote:  ...

I found a thread by Werk which references a different type of part ? link shown below :-

The one you found will work, and it have the same pinout.

(13-01-2023, 00:13)hornychz Wrote:  ...
But the one you found on eBay has a power of "only" 15 dBm, I recommend using the H34C 433 MHz module. It should have a power of more than 25 dBm.
(Better range.)

Indeed the H34C 433 MHz module is more powerful ans stable, and it will work too, but be aware that it doesn't have the same pinout, so it isn't a direct replacement.

(13-01-2023, 00:13)hornychz Wrote:  I also remembered that you probably wrote somewhere that the TX LED doesn't blink either. This could indicate a faulty switching MOSFET T1 2N7000.

This suggestion from Hornichz makes all the sense for me. If I was you, before trying to replace the TX module I would try to replace the MOSFET T1 2N7000.

(13-01-2023, 03:24)Werk_AG Wrote:  
(12-01-2023, 02:36)coupe pete Wrote:  ...

(13-01-2023, 00:13)hornychz Wrote:  ...
(Better range.)

Indeed the H34C 433 MHz module is more powerful ans stable, and it will work too, but be aware that it doesn't have the same pinout, so it isn't a direct replacement.
(13-01-2023, 00:13)hornychz Wrote:  I also remembered that you probably wrote somewhere that the TX LED doesn't blink either. This could indicate a faulty switching MOSFET T1 2N7000.

This suggestion from Hornichz makes all the sense for me. If I was you, before trying to replace the TX module I would try to replace the MOSFET T1 2N7000.

Ok thanks heaps for the suggestions - i will give them a try.

Hello,
(13-01-2023, 03:24)Werk_AG Wrote:   
(12-01-2023, 02:36)coupe pete Wrote:  I found a thread by Werk which references a different type of part ? link shown below :-

(13-01-2023, 00:13)hornychz Wrote:  You are right, the KXD10036 module somehow disappeared completely...

It is true, I forgot to point that out, sorry about that...

This is your old KXD-10036:

The module you found:

But H34C has different pinout (it is possible to use it, but you need to make some adjustments to the connector):

Best Regards
Zdenek

Thanks for all the help. Changing the 2N007 didn't make a difference. I have left the Nano in monitor mode - i assume that wont make a major difference ?

(14-01-2023, 08:22)coupe pete Wrote:  Thanks for all the help. Changing the 2N007 didn't make a difference. I have left the Nano in monitor mode - i assume that wont make a major difference ?

Its a 2N7000.

With a multimeter, please check if pin 7 on the nano is pulsing more or less every 3 seconds.
Also check if there is 9V in one of the LED pins.
If yes, and assuming the 2N2007 is working properly, the LED should lit (if it isn't damaged).

Before replacing the TX module, try to discover why the TX LED isn't blinking. If it isn't blinking the TX module may not be powered correctly. It is powered only during the period the LED is blinking.

The positive side of the led has 9v. The power pin on the TX unit also has 9v. The led voltage and the ground pin on the tx unit are pulsing. I can’t be sure of frequency and voltages as I am using a multimeter. Disconnecting the Rf transmitter still did not make the led flash. I think I will replace the led and get set up to use an oscilloscope.

If you can see the voltage pulses that means the transistor is making its work, and the LED should blink, unless it is damaged.
Having the LED blinking just ensures that the transmitter module is being turned on and off properly, however since you can receive any RF data from it, its possible it is damaged too.
I think you will not need an oscilloscope, frequency isn't very important, also it isn't constant, depends of the selected types of data packets to be sent.

At last some minor success. LED swapped and is now flashing. Unfortunately, the RX is still not receiving any data. I have ordered replacements, but they will take a little while to arrive.

(19-01-2023, 05:59)coupe pete Wrote:  At last some minor success. LED swapped and is now flashing. Unfortunately, the RX is still not receiving any data. I have ordered replacements, but they will take a little while to arrive.

Best Regards
Zdenek