Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Gravimetric rain bucket

Hello together,

last weekend we had beautiful weather so I decided to set up a prototype of my new planned rain sensor.

[Image: y4mfsmfwKaq3pzO2QAlnJKKCY1rB3WWfFAeShBqW...pmode=none] [Image: y4m-V5ndyLz90-xqCxQjgfxGgHsn06k1TMlwwpdh...pmode=none]

Find the planned working principle attached.
At the moment I'm sampling only raw data to SD to check if it's possible to get the desired resolution how to avoid ghost rain due to some drifts or other undesired effects.
I'm very excited how the data will look like in 4 weeks.

Regards,
engolling

Attached Files
.pdf Overview.pdf Size: 539,44 KB  Downloads: 260

Interesting experiment. Keep us updated.

Very interesting. I wonder if it would cope with the storms we get here now, the ones that dump like 50mm of rain in 10 minutes.

Quote:Very interesting. I wonder if it would cope with the storms we get here now, the ones that dump like 50mm of rain in 10 minutes.

I think this depends mostly on the size of the water tank below the funnel. The size of the water tank depends in a second case the required load of the weight cell and thus the achievable resolution.

Another point is the delay due to filtering. But in principle the design could be fitted to the different requirements.

But let's see how results will look like, since ADC and load cells are very cheap and I fear the drift and temperature effects...

Regards,
engolling

Good luck!  Smile

Best Regards
Zdenek

[Image: banner.php]
My outdoor AQM-I: here

Today I looked at the first test period and reviewed the results.
[Image: y4mW4R26G8GWq52qy7Iw9QbCqy7W0WLIed-tQ8hK...pmode=none]

[Image: y4mPAW66-DGVVcAQ1jTWfM2HspXd_HluWENVOS6d...pmode=none]

At the first half of the test period I got day (and maybe temperature dependent a lot of noise in the measurement, which I could not get rid of with filtering.
So you can see some "ghost rain" in the first 14 days, which seemed to get better in the last 14 days.
So I put out the whole setup again to get more data.

All in short I think I will not get sufficient results with this cheap hardware. I think there will be a need to buy a better force measurement instrument and a better amplifier.

Regards,
engolling

Congratulations!
Smile

Best Regards
Zdenek

[Image: banner.php]
My outdoor AQM-I: here

(05-06-2018, 20:46)engolling Wrote:  All in short I think I will not get sufficient results with this cheap hardware. I think there will be a need to buy a better force measurement instrument and a better amplifier.

That's the fun of developing projects. Trying, until it works as desired. Wink

(08-06-2018, 03:24)Werk_AG Wrote:  
(05-06-2018, 20:46)engolling Wrote:  All in short I think I will not get sufficient results with this cheap hardware. I think there will be a need to buy a better force measurement instrument and a better amplifier.

That's the fun of developing projects. Trying, until it works as desired.  Wink

Unfortunately I know this kind of feeling … it'll keep me busy for the next three years, like so snow height sensor…  Smile

Yes - well done ! after the home-made station, you have home-made sensors! Cool  Cool