Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

usb problems, maybe,who knows

Anybody have any idea why connecting the rx unit to a usb port on a pc (win 7 or XP) should cause the rx unit to "freeze"? LCD seems to lock up, Cumulus not yet connected. Disconnect usb lead, LCD display immediately shows updated screen.Same on two rx units .Dodgy serial to usb chips? Has, on occasion, worked fine on Cumulus, but only for a short while, then locks up as before. Latest rx s/w, tx s/w, driver supposedly ok. El-cheapo chinese Arduino. Bloody computers!!!

Are you powering the RX via 12v as well as the USB port?

yes.......

Might need Werk to comment as I haven't seen this.
What Arduino are they? Can you post a link to the seller?

This is really interesting, as I have had the same trouble since installing my logger chip, and upgrading to version 1.4.

It is still present with the latest version v1.4_b037. It seems that as long as I do not power it via the 12 volt input at all everything is fine.

The only difference I can see so far on v1.4_b037, is that disconnecting the USB cable does not seem to unlock the system like it did on v1.4.

I have not as yet tried swapping the TX & RX boards around as a trial.

My Nano boards are these from here: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Micro-con...fe=sidebar

I bought the Nano's from comelili on ebay, item no.141287851903 (as per Silicon Chip mag.) Without a usb to pc cable everything works as it should. Tried to look at the on board 3 volt reg. but didn't get too far....Fiddled with as many configurations as I could, still nbg ............!

Both of you used the same Nano's as me (with the CH340G serial chipset) and mine are working OK. Just note that you will need to use the 0.1uF capacitor for the programming pullup, instead of the resistor. That said, that shouldn't be causing lockups.

vk2kzo: does it operate OK when powered just from the USB port?
qldbureau: Did your memory chip come installed when you got the boards off Werk? If not, could you post the part number? EDIT, On re-reading I see you installed them afterwards, please post the part number.

I think we need a troubleshooting FAQ thread to list common problems.

vk2kzo and qldbureau:
Please follow the uncle_bob advise and check if you are using a 0.1uF (100nF) capacitor where on the board is marked R3/C3. Install only a 0.1uF capacitor.

Use the I2C_Scanner and FlashMemory_Test utilities and please put here the results.

What ARCHIVE_PERIOD are you using?

G'day Werk,
100nF is OK

12C scanner = 0x27 0x57 0x68 0x77

Flash Memory_Test =
Security register (byte 64 to 127) :
0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0,
0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0,
0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0,
0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0,
Status register :0
Manufacturer ID :
Device ID (part 1) :
Device ID (part 2) :
Extended Device Information String Length :

Archive Period = 5 minutes

RTC Module = ZS-042

logger chip soldered OK, and orientated OK.........................?

G'day Uncle Bob !
No, the thing just dies when I pull the 12v, and won't go on just the usb..............

vk2kzo, data from I2C_Scanner it's ok, but the output of the FlashMemory_Test shows that the system is not comunicating with the flash memory.

This lack of comunicattion with the flash memory may not explain the "freeze" problem, but should be solved. Recheck all the flash memory weldings.
Just to be sure, try to disable the data logger function in the user config options, and check if the freeze problem persists.

Do you have any close picture of the flash memory?