Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

TX board not transmitting

Hi,
I am still having problems with my TX transmitting, the TX led stopped blinking, but stayed on permanently, then when I disconnected the power supply and then reconnected it the TX led didn't come at all. The power led on the Nano is on and the voltage regulator is very slightly warm, I am assuming that one of the transistors T1 or T2 is no longer working.

any ideas will be welcome

regards

tyntop

Hi,

I have just completed my very first build of the Rx and Tx units. My Rx unit is working perfectly, but the Tx LED on the Tx unit isn't flashing.

As per the suggestion below, I have measured the voltage at both the power supply and output of the 7809 and they are 11.88V and 8.90V respectively. When I measure the voltage between the Vcc and Gnd, at the base of the FS1000A, I only ever see around 0.57V. I have checked the soldering around the joints of the FS1000A and have resoldered, but still it does not work.

Is it possible for somebody to suggest what component(s) I should look at, to ascertain where the issue may lie, as I am only a beginner at electronics.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

(07-09-2015, 02:54)Werk_AG Wrote:  If the TX Led blinks, the FS1000A is being powered, but just to be sure, you can:
Check the voltage of your power supply.
Check the voltage at the output of the 7809

Hi Greg,
Double check the soldering on the 2N7000 transistor.
Replacing the 2N7000 may be worth trying too.
As with most transistors, they don't like too much heat. Since this is CMOS, they also don't like big static charges. Also double check the soldering on the NanoD6 port.

Also double check the orientation of the LED.

Cheers UB

(20-09-2015, 07:35)uncle_bob Wrote:  Hi Greg,
Double check the soldering on the 2N7000 transistor.
Replacing the 2N7000 may be worth trying too.
As with most transistors, they don't like too much heat. Since this is CMOS, they also don't like big static charges. Also double check the soldering on the NanoD6 port.

Also double check the orientation of the LED.

Cheers UB

Thank you very much UB, I will give these a try and let you know how I get on.

Cheers Gregg

(20-09-2015, 03:18)GreggWardNZ Wrote:  When I measure the voltage between the Vcc and Gnd, at the base of the FS1000A, I only ever see around 0.57V. I have checked the soldering around the joints of the FS1000A and have resoldered, but still it does not work.

The GND at the FS1000 is commuted by the 2N7000 transistor, so with a multimeter, you only can see brief pulses.

To check if the 2N7000 transistor is working, you can follow this procedure:

Connect a voltmeter between GND (not the FS1000A gnd point) and the Arduino digital pin 7. At each 5 seconds you should see brief pulses of voltage (they are too short to get a reading, but this doesn't matter), now connect the voltmeter between the VCC and GND points at the FS1000A module. You should see the same pulses.
If you don't see the voltage pulses, the 2N7000 transistor is not working.
If you see the voltage pulses, and the TX Led is not blinking, the LED is faulty or reversed.

(20-09-2015, 15:41)Werk_AG Wrote:  
(20-09-2015, 03:18)GreggWardNZ Wrote:  When I measure the voltage between the Vcc and Gnd, at the base of the FS1000A, I only ever see around 0.57V. I have checked the soldering around the joints of the FS1000A and have resoldered, but still it does not work.

The GND at the FS1000 is commuted by the 2N7000 transistor, so with a multimeter, you only can see brief pulses.

To check if the 2N7000 transistor is working, you can follow this procedure:

Connect a voltmeter between GND (not the FS1000A gnd point) and the Arduino digital pin 7. At each 5 seconds you should see brief pulses of voltage (they are too short to get a reading, but this doesn't matter), now connect the voltmeter between the VCC and GND points at the FS1000A module. You should see the same pulses.
If you don't see the voltage pulses, the 2N7000 transistor is not working.
If you see the voltage pulses, and the TX Led is not blinking, the LED is faulty or reversed.

Thank you very much for your help. I will try and have a look at this over the next couple of days.

Gregg

Thanks for your help uncle_bob and Werk_AG, I found that the problem was a dry joint on one of the 2n7000 pins. The Tx board is now happily flashing the Tx LED.

This weekend I am going to try and get my boards all up and running.

I am really impressed with the whole WeatherDuino kit including both the hardware design and software. Well done!

(24-09-2015, 10:02)GreggWardNZ Wrote:  Thanks for your help uncle_bob and Werk_AG, I found that the problem was a dry joint on one of the 2n7000 pins. The Tx board is now happily flashing the Tx LED.

That's great news, well done.

Quote:I am really impressed with the whole WeatherDuino kit including both the hardware design and software. Well done!

Yip, Werk_AG's created a fantastic weather station!

(24-09-2015, 10:02)GreggWardNZ Wrote:  I am really impressed with the whole WeatherDuino kit including both the hardware design and software. Well done!

Thank you for have believed in the WeatherDuino Pro2 system. Hope it gives you pleasure during many years.