This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
cheap and effective FA radiation shield DIY
Update...
Finally after a delay of a few months I installed my OP Fan Assisted shield in the garden.

It didn't take long to get results... My 20 year old Peet bros sensor, also in a radiation shield but NOT fan assisted wil be replaced ASAP...

The differences are much greater than expected:

Afternoon, sunny, but both sensors in the shade: FA shield: 20.3 Celcius, old sensor 25.5C
I checked the outside temp with my calibrated thermometer and the difference with the new FA sensor was 0.3C

The next morning was more surprising because the non FA shield had a chance to cool off:
new FA shield: 14.1C, old sensor: 20.2C !!

Wow, never expected that! 

I think in a domestic environment, a Fan Assisted shield is more useful. In open field there's more wind to blow through the non FA radiation shield. In a town garden the situation is much different.

Well, I'm very happy with the results...

NOTE: The Fan runs 24/7.
Congratulations!  Smile
Best Regards
Zdenek

[Image: banner.php]
(31-08-2019, 07:59)edr1924 Wrote: I think in a domestic environment, a Fan Assisted shield is more useful. In open field there's more wind to blow through the non FA radiation shield. In a town garden the situation is much different.

Hi edr1924,

Maybe you would like to read this:
https://www.meteocercal.info/forum/Threa...on-shields

Indeed, as the study shows, the lower the wind speed the more a fan assisted radiation shield is effective. In some places, is even a must.
MeteoCercal - Air Quality Data
Click here to watch at my ThingSpeak channel

(01-09-2019, 03:39)Werk_AG Wrote:
(31-08-2019, 07:59)edr1924 Wrote: I think in a domestic environment, a Fan Assisted shield is more useful. In open field there's more wind to blow through the non FA radiation shield. In a town garden the situation is much different.

Hi edr1924,

Maybe you would like to read this:
https://www.meteocercal.info/forum/Threa...on-shields

Indeed, as the study shows, the lower the wind speed the more a fan assisted radiation shield is effective. In some places, is even a must.

Thank you for that URL, very interesting and point proven in my case/location.

But that's also why the wireless WeatherDuino and Davis systems etc. are so great because one can place the sensors in the best location.

BTW: I asked in another post for the choice between Inspeed and Davis wind sensors.  I decided to retire the (superior) Peet Bros anemometer I use now and use the Davis 6410 as it is widely available and better serviceable with the new model.

Moving forward to an all WeatherDuino system which is great!
(02-05-2019, 14:08)hornychz Wrote: Hello,

Today I've received my new aspirated radiation shield - not DIY, but it made by professionals
from Hunan RIKA Electronic Technology:

[Image: IMG_20190502_142904-upr-sm.jpg]

I will change my old SHT21 sensor and my old DIY shield with this new one and SHT31
in the next weeks - I am already looking forward ...  Shy

You will find that the SHT31-D sensor accuracy is amazing...
Have fun with those great products...!
(01-09-2019, 08:01)edr1924 Wrote:
(02-05-2019, 14:08)hornychz Wrote: I will change my old SHT21 sensor and my old DIY shield with this new one and SHT31
in the next weeks - I am already looking forward ...  Shy

You will find that the SHT31-D sensor accuracy is amazing...
Have fun with those great products...!

Hi,

I have some, one of them more than 2 years, but the head one is still SHT21...
The change will be done maybe this october (because of care about our grandchildern...), I hope  Wink
Best Regards
Zdenek

[Image: banner.php]