Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

SHT-31 order experience

Just wanted to share an experience I had and ask a question.
I recently ordered an SHT-31D from a seller on eBay but when the parcel came it was not an SHT31D it was an SHT30. I believe that is not the same thing and that the 30 has, in fact, an analog output; not digital. Anyway, I contacted the seller who refunded my payment, so all is good there, but now I have an SHT30 and I don't know what to do with it.

Is there anything I can do to make this thing work? Is it worth the effort?

I'm planning on trying again to order an SHT-31D but was wondering if the 30 could be put to any useful purpose.

Cheers,
Gord

Perhaps it is an SHT31, but with Analog output, instead of digital.
Something like this, I think:

[Image: s-l500.jpg]

The SHT3x humidity sensor series consists of a low-cost version with the SHT30 humidity sensor, a standard version with the SHT31 humidity sensor, and a high-end version with the SHT35 humidity sensor. All these exist with digital output.

This one, is a little expensive (ships from USA) but includes a filter membrane to protect against environmental factors such as dust, water immersion and other particle ingress. This makes it perfect for harsher environments in which most other humidity sensors would fail.

[Image: s-l225.jpg]

I believe you are correct. Here is a photo of it.
I suspect that this board can not be used on an I2C bus the same way an SHT-31-D would be used? it would need some sort of software to read the output?

Attached Files Image(s)

Have you tried it out to read it via I2C, my sensor, supplied by a Chinese supplier look identically.
I would just give it a try and see what happens.

engolling

Thanks for the comment and suggestion.
I will give it a try just a soon as I get the transmitter board together, I'm still waiting for parts.
This assumes the board actually works once I get through with it... Blush

Cheers,
Gord

Hi Gord,

If it is the analogue version, there is no use for it with the WeatherDuino, but you can use it for other personal project. There is an official Sensirion Arduino library which can be used with the analogue versions of the SHT3x sensors. They require two analogue (ADC) ports.
Possibly the poor precision of the Arduino ADC, will make the readings not so precise as the sensor specs.

(17-02-2019, 19:31)engolling Wrote:  Have you tried it out to read it via I2C, my sensor, supplied by a Chinese supplier look identically.
I would just give it a try and see what happens.

Yes, just fit the "SHT30" into either a Transmitter or Receiver board and load the Arduino : File > Sketchbook > Utilities > I2C_scanner  software (and the terminal emulator).  If it returns a valid address then it should be fine (with just slightly lower absolute accuracy than a SHT31).

However, if it really is an "analogue" version, then it might be quite "valuable".  Most Davis weather stations still use an Analogue version (which can fail quite often) and a replacement can be difficult to find and/or expensive!

Cheers,  Alan.

That looks identical to the cheap SHT31s I brought from fleabay, which are working fine (for the moment Angel  )