Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A rain bug in Vantage data?

Thank you Engolling.
I was hoping you could get into the discussion and talk about your experience, because I knew you were using WeeWx.

(22-11-2018, 22:20)41south Wrote:  Ah, interesting to know about that the data, many thanks agin for explaining.

In the end I *think* what bought the rain to life was re-enabling the hardware processing within Weewx, I don't know enough about the way the Davis protocol and Weewx work to even begin to explain the reason - it works and that is good enough for me  Smile 

If nothing else hopefully these questions and answers help somebody else following in using Weewx with this great hardware

I can imagine some conditions which may had result in a bad initialization of the Weewx (or any other software), these conditions disappear by them self after the first meteorological day begin.

Just some hints:

- If the weatherduino software has run in test mode, after changing it to normal operation mode (test mode = false) always perform a "factory reset"
This is so important, that I'm thinking to introduce a routine to automatically perform a "factory reset" if the operation mode was changed from test mode to normal mode.

In terms of software writing, I have the terrible bad habit of never predicting that things can be used differently from what I suppose they are. I have to take more care of this.

Yes thanks too from me Engolling for your post, it is good to know I have another person to ask questions of for this particular combination.

Werk - yes it is hard to predict what users may do with your software and hardware, you seem to have covered most bases very well.

When you 'test mode' do you mean using the debug routines? I will search up the factory reset process, I think I should do this now perhaps after all of the experimentation. Does this reset happen on both the RX and TX boards?

41south.net.nz powered by WeatherDuino and Weewx

Concerning WeeWx I found out that it is very fragile if non wanted conditions occur - happening all the time during testing  Wink .

So it might get stuck, if you reboot your WeatherDuino, but not the WeeWx machine and so on. But if I do not touch anything it behaves fine. I only use it because of the open source code giving some space for additional plugins (e.g. snow height). Before I used Cumulus and I still use it on my "production system"- so if you have not decided yet or you don't need the flexibility of WeeWx, I would suggest Cumulus (but this is only my opinion).
But be careful it is not the ultimate solution - it also took me quite some time in the last years to fix some statistics in Cumulus, no problem of cumulus, but caused by the weather station  Dodgy

Regards,
engolling

Yes I've used Cumulus on a previous 1-wire station that I owned many years ago. What really took me down the Weewx path was the active development, the configurability and what I saw was a lack of development with Cumulus these days. Weewx also has some great 'skins' being developed for web sites so I think it's a platform worth pursuing and persisting with - for now Big Grin

We digress, but I have certainly enjoyed the conversation and learning more about both Weewx and "our" wonderful WeatherDuino system

(23-11-2018, 07:31)engolling Wrote:  ...
So it might get stuck, if you reboot your WeatherDuino, but not the WeeWx machine and so on.

This is one of the worst conditions that can happen, not only by an intentional reboot, but  also due to a power failure. Depending on the weather software used, this condition always cause some troubles, because during the WeatherDuino initialization there is no USB communication (this is intentional, and avoids even bigger problems). This matter was already discussed long time ago in several old topics, and it can be avoided.

Things we can do:

* Having the weather station powered by the same power source than the PC ou PI which is running the weather software. An UPS can also helps, this is the reason why some users have build units with the receiver and the PI powered by a built-in UPS.

[Image: ?url=meteo.brandysnl.cz%2FMyDocs%2FForum...upr-sm.jpg] [Image: ?url=meteo.brandysnl.cz%2FMyDocs%2FForum...1.1-sm.jpg]

Images are from a station built by Zdenek, and in use at http://meteo.brandysnl.cz

* Many Cumulus MX users which are running it on a PI, are using the fantastic Start|Stop|restart Script available at the Cumulus support forum. Its possible to configure the PI to start this script  just a few minutes after the PI restart (to give time for the WeatherDuino station to complete the initialization sequence after a reboot).

I'm not a Linux expert but I think that its possible to write a script that automatically starts WeeWx a few minutes (for most cases 3 minutes is enought ) after the restart of the system which is running weewx.

This is the method used at the MeteoCrasm weather station which runs without human intervention for long periods.

(23-11-2018, 21:52)41south Wrote:  ...
We digress, but I have certainly enjoyed the conversation and learning more about both Weewx and "our" wonderful WeatherDuino system

The better you know how it works the better will be the final result. Once everything is set properly you will see that it runs solid as a rock.
If I seemed rude in any of my previous post, my apologies, current week wasn't be very good for me.

That is a good point regarding the delayed start of the weather software, I will put together a script to delay Weewx on my Pi.

As per my PM, no apologies required Smile

(24-11-2018, 00:55)Werk_AG Wrote:  
(23-11-2018, 07:31)engolling Wrote:  ...
So it might get stuck, if you reboot your WeatherDuino, but not the WeeWx machine and so on.

This is one of the worst conditions that can happen, not only by an intentional reboot, but  also due to a power failure. Depending on the weather software used, this condition always cause some troubles, because during the WeatherDuino initialization there is no USB communication (this is intentional, and avoids even bigger problems). This matter was already discussed long time ago in several old topics, and it can be avoided.

That's right and the WeatherDuino behaves pretty fine in this case - better say nothing than false things. Also CumulusMX behaves great - I never got a bad conditions using those two.
I just wondering why I got those issue with WeeWx - but I might have been in combination with the Date-Time, I can not reproduce any more.

But in principle the direction should be clear and the solution easy... The weather station does not say anything as long it can not be sure that there is valid data. The software does not store anything and retries as long as it gets valid data from the weather station in the end. 

Nevertheless Zdenek's solution is preferable  Smile
I got already the stuff for a small battery based on Li-Ion cells - I will build it... probably in 2019.

Regards,
engolling

(25-11-2018, 11:49)engolling Wrote:  ...
I just wondering why I got those issue with WeeWx - but I might have been in combination with the Date-Time, I can not reproduce any more.

I agree! That problem plus the logger records with a wrong Date-Time should had left Weewx crazy (with reasons for it Smile )

When I tried WeeWx some years ago, I haven't liked the web interface, but seems that now there are interfaces with a better look than those I found at that time.
When I have some free time (really hard) I will try to install it again.

On my personal weather station, I'm still using Cumulus 1, mainly because it includes some editor not available on the CumulusMX version (unfortunately Steve was stop the development before adding them to CumulusMX too).