Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

433MHz Module Compatability

Hi Guys,

Just want to give a quick heads-up and something to be aware of re 433Mhz modules.  Since building some new WeatheDuino modules recently, I encountered an RF issue that I've been looking into over the last couple of weeks.  

The Issue

My production WeatherDuino system has been in operation now for over a year and hasn't missed a beat, literally - it just works.  I built up the first Pro2PLUS receiver, set the station ID and proceeded to do some testing with my production transmitter station outside.  The RF link was not so solid, with the RX in the same location as the old Pro2 receiver - no environmental / location changes.  After creating some new debug code and looking at packet reception, it seems that I was getting a lot of corrupt / unreadable packets being received, among the good ones. The receiver did work somewhat, and I could receive valid data, but I would frequently get "---" readings for the outside Temp and Humidity.  If you didn't know any better, you may just say that it was a RF transmission issue.  Even with the new Pro2+ receiver outside and within a few meters of the transmitter, I would still see the same results. But as soon as I shutdown and started up the old Pro2 station, all was good again and totally solid RF link.

I had a test Pro2 transmitter station on bread board, and it didn't take long to create a test Pro2 receiver station on breadboard as well.  Using these test stations as a set, I was able to test these new 433Mhz modules, and they were totally solid and no corrupt packets when used as a new pair / set.  I was even able to take the test TX station outside and get solid link back into my workshop where the test RX station was located.  All good when used as a new set (ie. a set of TX and RX modules purchases as a pair from the same seller / manufacturer).  But as soon as I mixed my old Pro2 TX station with the new 433Mhz RX modules, I experienced issues again even over short distances of a few meters.

The Modules

The old modules that I bought are no longer available / listed on eBay.  The new modules that I bought are still available as a set, and when used as a set they are giving a solid and reliable RF connection / path.  Refer URL below:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ASK-AM-RF-Sup...SwdzVXi21n 

Summary / Lesson Learnt

I NOT saying that you will have issues if you buy / mix various 433Mhz modules, but my testing seems to indicate that you "may" have issues if you use mixed modules.  Differing age of the modules (old vs new) I think may also be a contributing factor and the aging crystals on the old modules may not be as locked on as they were when new.  My advice for a new builder would be to buy a set of 433Mhz TX and RX modules as a pair from a single seller/supplier, and keep / use them as a set.  If you think that you may want a spare set of modules for later, buy them at the same time so that all modules are matched from the same manufacturer / seller.

I'll keep testing and be sure to update this thread again, when and if more information comes to hand. [edited]  

Mark R

As a reference guide, I found this TX / RX compatibility chart online.  As we are using the RM06 433MHz ASK RX modules it confirms that we need the BX-TM01 / BX-TM05 TX modules.  This chart may help someone identify if they are about to buy a correct (or incorrect) matching module, as there are "many" out there on eBay...

Regards, Mark R

Mark,

Since the frequency and modulation used are the same, all modules work with each other.
There are lots of people including me, that are using the old TX boards equipped with an FS1000A transmitter, and it works perfectly with the RXB6 receivers.

The table, above also confirms that, as you can see BX-TM01 / BX-TM05 transmitters will work with all receivers on the list, except the ones that are FSK, of course.

There isn't that thing of a paired RX and TX module, only some are of better quality than others.

I also know of some RX modules, very similar to the RXB6 (even the PCB is the same) what doesn't work so well, and is because of that that I always recommend the ones that have RXB6 market on the back of the PCB.

Canton-electronics is a reliable supplier, but don't thrust in everything you read on their eBay website.

Probably also worth a mention here, that "age" of the modules may also be a contributing factor. While my production TX and RX modules are and have been working fine for over a year now, and continue to work fine, the TX crystal may not be as accurate as it was back at day one, and this may also be part the issue when transmitting from the old Pro2 TX to the new RX module.

Mark R

Interesting. The link to the module you posted, this one, http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ASK-AM-RF-Sup...SwdzVXi21n the specs say its ASK uses 1MHz bandwidth.

The modules I purchased says it uses ASK and 2MHz bandwidth. http://www.ebay.com/itm/152227100650

(04-02-2017, 09:06)danner Wrote:  The modules I purchased says it uses ASK and 2MHz bandwidth. http://www.ebay.com/itm/152227100650

Hi danner,

In my opinion the modules you bought are the best, and my prefered.
Their enhanced bandwidth makes them more compatible with several transmitters.

Yesterday, by PM I referred those modules to Mark.

Does anyone have experience with these sets? I am waiting for a pair to arrive. I note the 2Mhz bandwidth listed against them.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/310925560013?...EBIDX%3AIT

(04-02-2017, 22:04)qldbureau Wrote:  Does anyone have experience with these sets? I am waiting for a pair to arrive. I note the 2Mhz bandwidth listed against them.

From my experience all those modules with a 13.52127 crystal instead of 433 perform very bad. Also note that they aren't market as RXB6.

Regarding the transmitter module, things are even worse. That module can only be powered by 5V, and their RF range is very short. The TX modules used on the WeatherDuino Pro2 are powered by 9V, I believe this one will gonna burn.

(05-02-2017, 03:16)Werk_AG Wrote:  
(04-02-2017, 22:04)qldbureau Wrote:  Does anyone have experience with these sets? I am waiting for a pair to arrive. I note the 2Mhz bandwidth listed against them.

From my experience all those modules with a 13.52127 crystal instead of 433 perform very bad. Also note that they aren't market as RXB6.

Regarding the transmitter module, things are even worse. These module can only be powered by 5V, and their RF range is very short. The TX modules used on the WeatherDuino Pro2 are powered by 9V, I believe this one will gonna burn.

O.K., thanks Werk. Fortunately I have found the spare receiver from my original batch marked RXB6, so am not depending on it anymore. I am minus the Tx module as I used it in my second Tx board. I bought my originals from this seller, I will see what arrives this time and search again if I need to.

I was looking to the specs of that TX module on the vendor page, and he says it can be powered from 3V to 12V. For me this is a novelty... I already saw several  TX modules similar to those in the picture,  that are 5V modules.

I don't have any for testing.