Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

cheap and effective FA radiation shield DIY

Thanks for your reply!

Luckily I have no problems with slow response etc: when I blow on the mesh, I get an immediate response!

Also when raining, the temperature drops as expected. No heating up either: the ventilator draws the air through the sensor so it can't heat up.  

I tries other cheap sensors but personally don't like to use chinese sensors because they copy everything.
You also are not sure about the specs of the fake sensor. I did a lot of research about fakes, very interesting what you find.

So that's why I buy from sources like Digikey or Adafruit etc.
But I tried some chinese stuff: just had 2 Arduino Nano fakes which, after a few months, begun to behave strangely.

But what anyone's choice may be, have fun with it, that's the most important thing.

(26-06-2021, 13:34)edr1924 Wrote:  Thanks for your reply!

Luckily I have no problems with slow response etc: when I blow on the mesh, I get an immediate response!

Also when raining, the temperature drops as expected. No heating up either: the ventilator draws the air through the sensor so it can't heat up.  

I tries other cheap sensors but personally don't like to use chinese sensors because they copy everything.
You also are not sure about the specs of the fake sensor. I did a lot of research about fakes, very interesting what you find.

So that's why I buy from sources like Digikey or Adafruit etc.
But I tried some chinese stuff: just had 2 Arduino Nano fakes which, after a few months, begun to behave strangely.

But what anyone's choice may be, have fun with it, that's the most important thing.

ooops I think Adafruit has messed up this time by selling chinese crap also... I thought they never did that...
Well I have to see what will happen to my -what seems to be- 'chinese' sensor... Sad

bummer... Confused

Out of curiosity, what you aren't like about your sensor?

(27-06-2021, 18:47)Werk_AG Wrote:  Out of curiosity, what you aren't like about your sensor?

Well I have no reason (for now) to complain to be honest.  Rolleyes 

I was just disappointed to discover that Adafruit also use fake sensors.
I like precision when measuring meteo data. Using cheap chinese sensors and expecting precision is a gamble. 

Next time I will buy a Sinsirion sensor again and epoxy it myself. Although as I said before, the epoxied sensor also died within 1 year.  Alternatively I could use a BS1820 for temperature, we'll see.

to show the performance of the sensor I bought, here is a graph of yesterday. the temperature measured is the same as other weather stations in my neighbourhood so that's good.   And when we had rain, the temperature dropped nicely as expected.

[Image: WD2021-06-27.png]