This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
best choice: Inspeed or Davis sensors?
Hi all...
I tried to make a Peet Bros wind sensor to Davis converter but I gave up

So my question is which wind sensors to buy: Inspeed or Davis??

As far as I know, Inspeed can only be bought in the USA, not in Europe
If Inspeed is better/more reliable I am willing to spend the large amount of additional costs when importing to The Netherlands...

Any thoughs?
thanks!
(09-08-2019, 15:40)edr1924 Wrote: Hi all...
I tried to make a Peet Bros wind sensor to Davis converter but I gave up

So my question is which wind sensors to buy: Inspeed or Davis??

As far as I know, Inspeed can only be bought in the USA, not in Europe
If Inspeed is better/more reliable I am willing to spend the large amount of additional costs when importing to The Netherlands...

Any thoughs?
thanks!

Hi edr1924,

As you can see, it is very difficult to answer your question. Probably nobody will solve it for you - you have
to decide for yourself what is better for you, what it has parameters, what price, what suits you and what not ...  ReadManual

(For example, after a few years of operation, I decided on an ultrasonic sensor from China.)

JT118 also frequently publishes links to bargains on eBay:
https://www.meteocercal.info/forum/Threa...ro-Sensors

Good luck.
Best Regards
Zdenek

[Image: banner.php]
 My outdoor AQM: here
Hi edr1924,

I never used the Davis instruments, so I only can speak about the Inspeed devices. I used the Inspeed Instruments for about two years, the Vortex digital anemometer is a quite good device, however during that period I had two issue with the wind vane, one of them required replacing the electronics inside it (water gets inside).
Perhaps they don't worth the price difference to the Davis ones, which you can buy in Europe. As Hornychz said on previous post, often JT118 publish links to units for sale on eBay at really bargain prices. Keep an eye on those opportunities.

Rgs
(11-08-2019, 22:38)Werk_AG Wrote: Hi edr1924,

I never used the Davis instruments, so I only can speak about the Inspeed devices. I used the Inspeed Instruments for about two years, the Vortex digital anemometer is a quite good device, however during that period I had two issue with the wind vane, one of them required replacing the electronics inside it (water gets inside).
Perhaps they don't worth the price difference to the Davis ones, which you can buy in Europe. As Hornychz said on previous post, often JT118 publish links to units for sale on eBay at really bargain prices. Keep an eye on those opportunities.

Rgs

Thank you both for your reply... 

Yes it's of course a matter of personal preference... I had hoped the Inspeed were much better than the Davis ones but reading you had trouble after such a short time is not encouraging.

I also emailed Inspeed to asked them for shipping costs to Europe but they didn't reply so I think I will look for the JT118 or the Davis.

Thanks again!
Good luck - again!  Smile
Best Regards
Zdenek

[Image: banner.php]
 My outdoor AQM: here
I used the davis wind and direction sensor on my Plus for quite a long time until the direction sensor pot died. I fixed it and used it again but decided to try the INspeed ones. Much better units in operation. I did make my own adaptors to fit it to my tubes for mounting but they have been flawless so far. Infact I am going to get another set for home. I think it cost me US$150 at the time for both plus shipping and dollar conversion they cost me around AUS$275 landed. heaps cheaper than any Davis setup for the same. I would recommend them and mine are in a hard enviroment here in OZ. The station is out on my farm in a dryish hot area about 50km west of the east coast. What I would like to find is a Davis rain gauge and temperature housing. They are hard to come by unless anyone knows of something else that is reasonably priced and actually works well

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/p...44#history
(20-08-2019, 04:51)markkkk42 Wrote: I used the davis wind and direction sensor on my Plus for quite a long time until the direction sensor pot died. I fixed it and used it again but decided to try the INspeed ones. Much better units in operation. I did make my own adaptors to fit it to my tubes for mounting but they have been flawless so far. Infact I am going to get another set for home. I think it cost me US$150 at the time for both plus shipping and dollar conversion they cost me around AUS$275 landed. heaps cheaper than any Davis setup for the same. I would recommend them and mine are in a hard enviroment here in OZ. The station is out on my farm in a dryish hot area about 50km west of the east coast. What I would like to find is a Davis rain gauge and temperature housing. They are hard to come by unless anyone knows of something else that is reasonably priced and actually works well

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/p...44#history

Thank you very much for your insight!

maybe I'll try to email Inspeed one more time and hopefully they will give a reply.
Else I will go for the Davis...