Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Wind sensor alternatives to FineOffset. Any ideas?

(03-03-2015, 22:14)garybb1 Wrote:  
(22-02-2015, 20:27)Werk_AG Wrote:  Fell free to create the new thread .

Hi
Would it be possible to use a wind sensor such as the WSD1 from Environmental Measurements Ltd
This uses a continuously rotating potentiometer which could be connected as a voltage divider circuit.
http://www.emltd.net/products/wind/wind-...on-sensors
Thanks

(01-07-2015, 23:25)Werk_AG Wrote:  Do you have specs of the Didcot wind vane?

Only what I have put in my post, i.e. lnb22 sakae 1Kohm potentiometer as per spec sheet being driven by the vane in the same way as the davis vane but only up to 1Kohm rather than the Davis 20Kohm.
0 ohms N; 250 ohms west; 500 ohms S; 750 ohms east and so on. 2.777r ohms per degree.

Sorry I had missed that post!

Both the wind speed and wind vane sensor are serious candidates to be included on the list of supported instruments Smile. Of course, I will need your help testing them.

If you plan to help in testing this wind vane, don't install the R8 variable resistor in your TX unit.

Hi
Would it be possible to use a wind sensor such as the WSD1 from Environmental Measurements Ltd
This uses a continuously rotating potentiometer which could be connected as a voltage divider circuit.
Thanks

(02-07-2015, 00:09)Werk_AG Wrote:  Sorry I had missed that post!

Both the wind speed and wind vane sensor are serious candidates to be included on the list of supported instruments Smile. Of course, I will need your help testing them.

If you plan to help in testing this wind vane, don't install the R8 variable resistor in your TX unit.

OK noted, I do intend to use this and the Anemometer, which is a reed switch set up but beautifully made to very high tolerances.

Yeah, it looks good!
As the datasheet don't have any info about the output pinout, could you please try to find it?
What type of connector it uses? RJ11?

Hi
Thanks

(02-07-2015, 00:43)Werk_AG Wrote:  Yeah, it looks good!
As the datasheet don't have any info about the output pinout, could you please try to find it?
What type of connector it uses? RJ11?
No, it has an aircraft type plug going into anemometer, and bare wires at the weatherduino end. However not too difficult to work a pinout that will go into weatherduino. Large wire gauge on original wiring loom, too big for an RJ11.

(02-07-2015, 06:42)JT118 Wrote:  No, it has an aircraft type plug going into anemometer, and bare wires at the weatherduino end. ...

That's good, it will be easier find the output pinout.

(02-07-2015, 00:19)JT118 Wrote:  OK noted, I do intend to use this and the Anemometer, which is a reed switch set up but beautifully made to very high tolerances.

I think I'm somewhat confused about what anemometer/vane you intend to use? It's the EML model model WSD1, or the Didcot DWR205?

(02-07-2015, 12:28)Werk_AG Wrote:  
(02-07-2015, 06:42)JT118 Wrote:  No, it has an aircraft type plug going into anemometer, and bare wires at the weatherduino end. ...

That's good, it will be easier find the output pinout.

(02-07-2015, 00:19)JT118 Wrote:  OK noted, I do intend to use this and the Anemometer, which is a reed switch set up but beautifully made to very high tolerances.

I think I'm somewhat confused about what anemometer/vane you intend to use? It's the EML model model WSD1, or the Didcot DWR205?

I think we have two threads crossing over garybb1 and myself, I intend to use the Didcot setup.         similar to attached 205/201 etc are very similar instruments certainly from the point of view of hooking into weatherduino. (see thread http://www.meteocercal.info/forum/Thread...nemometers ) I have acquired four didcot anemometers with various outputs, I shall be using the anemometer with reed switch and wind vane with 1Kohm potentiometer.
.pdf Meteo_Sensors-Wind_Speed.pdf Size: 831,66 KB  Downloads: 193

.pdf Meteo_Sensors-Wind_Direction.pdf Size: 514,52 KB  Downloads: 203
Last post wouldn't take anymore pictures. Detail of aircraft type connector.

(02-07-2015, 13:21)JT118 Wrote:  I think we have two threads crossing over garybb1 and myself, I intend to use the Didcot setup. ...

Yes, that confounded me. Anyway I see no problem in adding software support for both models.
Some kind of adatpter should be used to connect the cables from the anemometer and vane.
Tell me when you have a pinout.

(02-07-2015, 18:19)Werk_AG Wrote:  
(02-07-2015, 13:21)JT118 Wrote:  I think we have two threads crossing over garybb1 and myself, I intend to use the Didcot setup. ...

Yes, that confounded me. Anyway I see no problem in adding software support for both models.
Some kind of adatpter should be used to connect the cables from the anemometer and vane.
Tell me when you have a pinout.

I shall set it up to use the same pinout as the davis 7911! See links to Lexington and other link in previous post.

If possible, I prefer you give me the pinout for your Didcot instruments in a format like this:

======= Davis Vantage Pro, Part number 6410 ======
Pulse from cup anemometer = Black wire
Ground = Red wire
Wind direction signal = Green wire
+ 5V (Vcc) = Yellow wire

======= Didcot Instrument Company, model DWR205 ======
Pulse from cup anemometer = ?
Ground = ?
Wind direction signal = ?
+ 5V (Vcc) = ?

Thank you.