Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Wind sensor alternatives to FineOffset. Any ideas?

Hi, thanks for this link.
Interesting devices! Do you have any idea about the price of those units?
Adding support for this devices in the WeatherDuino Pro2 system does not seems very difficult. But if prices are too high, it may not be worth thinking about it.

That material looks vaguely similar in design to the Inspeed models used in Hobby Boards. The price for these falls within the 255 USD range.

In Inspeed's website we get quotes of 65 USD (+40 USD for optional metal cups) for the anemometer + 129 USD for the vane. Total: 194-234 USD. A bit more than I would personally like to pay.

[Image: wind-in-a__57384_std.jpg]

Ref. & spec.s: http://www.inspeed.com/anemometers/default.asp

VANE
RESOLUTION: 12 bit or 0.025 degrees
ELECTRICAL:
Supply voltage 2.7 to 5.5 VDC
Current 12 mA typical
Output 5% to 95% of input voltage
Output impedance: 500 Ohms
Input impedance: min. 50 kOhms
Accuracy:+/- 1.7% of Full Scale (+/- 6 degrees)

(04-03-2015, 11:17)hvalentim Wrote:  In Inspeed's website we get quotes of 65 USD (+40 USD for optional metal cups) for the anemometer + 129 USD for the vane. Total: 194-234 USD. A bit more than I would personally like to pay.

Ouch, but they do look like quality units (when in the picture anyway Wink )

Since some time that I'm looking for those Inspeed instruments! Smile
The more economical wind speed unit have some important limitations, only works with wind speeds greater than 3 mph and still is a read switch based unit, but the Vortex II, is very interesting! It uses an optical system with 8 pulses per revolution, instead of a read switch, and costs only $30 more.

VORTEX 8-Pulse High Resolution Anemometer

•Sapphire bearing and Tungsten Carbide-tipped shaft for super low friction
•Optical sensor with zero friction or contact
•Fully serviceable construction
•Aluminum mounting bracket for ease of installation
•Wire (standard lengths available)
•Optional tube mount
•Optional metal cups

[Image: IMG_1495-001.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0858.jpg]

The Inspeed wind vane is a really good unit! Far better than the ones used on Davis.

[Image: IMG_0837_med.jpg]

It represents a number of advantages over potentiometer vanes, including:
•Zero dead band. Many potentiometer wind vanes have a dead spot of several degrees. This device has no dead band.
•Near-zero friction. Since the magnet is not in contact with the Hall sensor, there is no friction from the sensor.
•Virtually infinite life. Unlike potentiometers that wear out, the magnetic Hall sensor is non-contacting and should theoretically last forever.

(04-03-2015, 12:21)Werk_AG Wrote:  (...) but the Vortex II, is very interesting! It uses an optical system with 8 pulses per revolution (...)

If we were able to get the set anemometer+vane for the price of the Davis stuff (which is about half the value) that would be awesome, wouldn't it?

The Davis price tag is as high as I am willing to go for a private "just for fun" weather station. But I need to be convinced that it's the potentially "last a lifetime" sort of thing, which Davis is definitely not and the Inspeed seems to be but at too high a cost.

Maybe it's time to start thinking about "home-brewing" these things. Then we control the quality and accuracy.
I think the electronics would be the easy part. Creating/finding the plastic hardware might be the hard part. Though I do have a friend that owns a plastic factory, but of course, he wouldn't be able to knock 'em out cheap like the Chinese.

Honestly, I do not believe that precision instruments of this type, could be done individually at home. The accuracy tests, require very sophisticated and expensive equipment and also access to a certified wind tunnel.

...but modifying a Fine Offset one, to use a hall sensor instead of a read switch, maybe could be done. Why not? Smile Angel

(04-03-2015, 23:17)Werk_AG Wrote:  ...but modifying a Fine Offset one, to use a hall sensor instead of a read switch, maybe could be done. Why not? Smile Angel

Yes, it could be an interesting experiment to try and replace the Reed Switch with a Hall Sensor.

Personally however.....

I've been using Fine Offset since December 2008. In that time I've only had to replace the anemometer which is quite good for such a relatively inexpensive device. It's age is beginning to show now though and some of the plastic parts - again especially the anemometer - are quite brittle. I'll have to replace the whole setup very soon but, although just a "hobby station", I want to improve the accuracy of my data if possible, particularly windspeed and direction. I did look at a complete Davis station but the cost of what I want would be more than £800.

With WeatherDuino though, we get highly accurate temperature, humidity and pressure sensors very cheaply. Personally, I think I would be happy to spend £230 for the Vortex Direction and Anemometer units as I would then have a station very close to the Davis spec but at far less cost if they were compatible with WD. I need to do more research on the Vortex units but they seem very good both in accuracy and durability.

Allan.

I agree with you AlanG. The Fine Offset anemometers have the best price / quality relation on the market, they last some years and are easy to repair. They will always be supported by WeatherDuino Pro2 system.
I liked to add support for at least one reputed high quality wind meters like the Inspeed, because it could be done without major or even none modifications to the existing WeatherDuino Pro2 hardware, and doing it will add one more alternative for the more exigent.

Hi,
I have been following this discussion and I have come across 2 items that I think could be used instead of the reed switches:

1 a HC-00k photo electric encoders which I was thinking could be used for wind speed. available on ebay item No 400547392351

2 a KY-040 which is a rotary encoder module which I was thinking could be used for wind direction, available on ebay item No
400698011756 if you look at this item No it gives a narrative of how it works.

I can work out ways of how to mount them but my shortfall comes to the electronic side of things ie would they be suitable, would any thing else be required eg signal amplifiers.

that is why I am asking any body out there with a better electronic know how, give opinions as weather these could work and if so would it be complicated or fairly simple

Awaiting opinions.

regards
tyntop.