This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
WeatherDuino large LED display showcase
Hi all,

After 20 years of service, my 2 large LED displays needed an upgrade to work with the amazing WeatherDuino system.

They were connected to my Peet Bros Ultimeter weather station by a serial data connection but I liked the flexibility of the WD system so I stripped the pcb's of the old microcontroller and all components, leaving only the MC14489P 7 segment driver and the LED displays.

One Arduino Uno per display, a DIP switch to select what weather data to display and on several display's 5 external led's was needed to get it up-to-date.
The Wemos D1 with only one DC-DC converter to power the 8 pcb's was sufficient.

The options to display weather data are without limits. 
for example:
- 1 display will show the 5 minute average peak wind speed value and the today wind speed peak value, alternating changing every 5 seconds
- the other display will show the 5 minute average wind direction and 5 minute average wind speed, alternating changing every 5 seconds

- rain:
if it's not raining, the display will show the rainfall today
if it's raining the display will show the rainfall in mm/hour alternating with the rain total today.
else if it's dry for >1 day the display will show the days of no rain.
also the external 5 led's will show the rain rate:
1 led: drizzle, 2 led's: light rain etc.

Meteorologists classify rain rates for different levels of activity:
Type of Storm  - Rate
------------------------------------
Light Rain:    - 2 - 4 mm/hr
Moderate:      - 5 - 9 mm/hr
Heavy:         - 10 - 40 mm/hr
Violent:       - more than 40 mm/hr

What I like the most is the warning if the barometric pressure is falling very fast.
The external red LED's will blink rapidly so I know something is coming....

// Term                     Pressure Tendency Over 3 Hours  LED indicators:
// =======================  ==============================  ==========================
// Rising very rapidly      More than 6.0 mb                LED_4 and LED_5 both blink at 500ms rate
// Rising quickly           3.6 to 6.0 mb                   LED_4 is BLINKING at 1000ms rate
// Rising                   1.6 to 3.5 mb                   LED_4 and LED_5 both are ON
// Rising slowly            0.1 to 1.5 mb                   LED_4 Led is ON
// Steady                   Less than 0.1 mb                STEADY Led is ON
// Falling slowly           0.1 to 1.5 mb                   LED_2 Led is ON
// Falling                  1.6 to 3.5 mb                   LED_2 and LED_1 both are ON
// Falling quickly          3.6 to 6.0 mb                   LED_2 is BLINKING at 1000ms rate
// Falling very rapidly     More than 6.0 mb                LED_2 and LED_1 both blink at 500ms rate

temperature:
every set time, the display will show the max and min temperatures after midnight reset.
The external led bar will show the temp rise or falling rate.

The project will be open source of course and available on my hackster page when ready...
www.hackster.io/edr1924

The various display options:

only one video per post... Huh
To see the inside click here: https://youtu.be/AaEEy97CoGw
Hello Erik,

And congratulations! Very good and nice job!  Like Heart
Best Regards
Zdenek

[Image: banner.php]
 My outdoor AQM: here
Wow that look really great Erik ! I love the look! 

The design is in the same spirit as your DCF77 Analyzer/Clock with the various alphanumerical displays. Overall it is very neat and clean. 

It's a different yet effective way of displaying information.

Regards,
Zitoune
(06-10-2019, 13:35)hornychz Wrote: Hello Erik,

And congratulations! Very good and nice job!  Like Heart

Oh, I didn't realize that this post was online... I had too many external URL's in it and I asked the moderator what was the problem.
But he posted the thread so I didn't reply before...

Thanks WerkAG and Hornychz...!
(07-10-2019, 14:47)zitoune Wrote: Wow that look really great Erik ! I love the look! 

The design is in the same spirit as your DCF77 Analyzer/Clock with the various alphanumerical displays. Overall it is very neat and clean. 

It's a different yet effective way of displaying information.

Regards,
Zitoune

Thanks!

So you noticed I love 7 segment displays and led's? 
Cool

In my bedroom I use the Adafruit Alphanumerical displays so i can display text. They have great displays with amazing brightness and easy to interface via I2C.