Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

VP2 windspeed for Weewx

Hello all, and especially any Weewx users

I've got a VP2 weathervane attached to my WD station, I'm wondering if any other users have this also and which of the wind_resolution options you use in the RX software? I did originally leave it at (2) but that seemed to be causing very high wind speed recordings with Weewx so I now have (0) set and it looks better. Can anyone else concur that is the correct setting for Weewx. I see that it is (0) for Weather Display software so I think Weewx should be similar.

Many thanks
Colin

41south.net.nz powered by WeatherDuino and Weewx

I don't know if with Weewx its possible to use multipliers (I think it is, but I'm not sure) as happens with Cumulus. In affirmative case you will benefit for using WeatherDuino extended wind resolution, and use a multiplier.
The multipliers to use are the same as with Cumulus.

It is OK use VP2_WIND_RESOLUTION  set to 0 (no need for any multiplier). In this case, WeatherDuino follows the Davis standard, and wind gusts are presented in 1mph increments, instead of 0.72Km/h (0.447mph) when VP2_WIND_RESOLUTION is set to 2, and a multiplier of 0.448 is used on the software side.

Ok thanks for the explanation Werk. Does VP2_WIND_RESOLUTION apply to both 'Wind' and 'Gust' or is it just the 'Gust'? 

I could perhaps use the StdCalibrate feature but I'm not sure if it would work or provide any benefit

http://www.weewx.com/docs/usersguide.htm#StdCalibrate

41south.net.nz powered by WeatherDuino and Weewx

(07-11-2018, 03:14)41south Wrote:  Ok thanks for the explanation Werk. Does VP2_WIND_RESOLUTION apply to both 'Wind' and 'Gust' or is it just the 'Gust'? 

I could perhaps use the StdCalibrate feature but I'm not sure if it would work or provide any benefit

http://www.weewx.com/docs/usersguide.htm#StdCalibrate

Aplies to both, but perhaps you only need to set in one statement, probably wind. Check Weewx documentation
Yes, it seems that is in the StdCalibrate section.
Should be something like: wind = wind * 0.448 for VP2_WIND_RESOLUTION 2