This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Running the Arduino IDE as a portable app
Is anyone else running the Arduino IDE as a portable application?

As someone who maintains a few older Arduino projects, plus does quite a bit of ESP8266 development using the Arduino IDE, I found myself descending into a hell of conflicting libraries and juggling different versions of the Arduino IDE on different computers.  It was all getting very confusing and difficult to maintain.

I'm now running a separate installation of the Arduino IDE as a portable application - dedicated to the WeatherDuino firmware.  It's great, since none of the libraries change unless they come with a new release of the WD software.  If I want to move it to a different computer, I can just copy the file structure across and I'm up and running.

If anyone is interested in trying this, the basic process is:
  • Download the .zip version of the Arduino installer
  • Unpack to a suitable location
  • Create a directory named "portable" in the same directory as arduino.exe
  • On first launch, the following directories will be created:

Code:
.\portable\sketchbook
.\portable\sketchbook\libraries

Use the above directories for the WeatherDuino source code.

The official documentation is here: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/PortableIDE
Never tried it, but sounds like it can be useful for WeatherDuino users, sometimes we use common libraries slightly customized.
I did not even know about this IDE variation - it looks very interesting and appealing. Thank you for the info.
Smile
Best Regards
Zdenek

[Image: banner.php]
 My outdoor AQM: here
Nice one Shred! I'll be doing this in the future.
Yes, I do this, on a USB memory stick, so that I can run arduino on college computers I don't have admin rights on. It works well. I run the IDE directly off the USB with no installation on the computer itself at all.
Very useful - I often switch platform from Mac to Windows depending on what board to program. One way I used was using a shared drive.
A portable version is now available for download from SourceForge.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/arduino-portable/

You can download from the oldest Arduino IDE version 1.0.5 to the latest version.
(02-08-2019, 11:53)har0ld Wrote: A portable version is now available for download from SourceForge.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/arduino-portable/

You can download from the oldest Arduino IDE version 1.0.5 to the latest version.

Thank you for your post.  Smile
Best Regards
Zdenek

[Image: banner.php]
 My outdoor AQM: here