This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Replacing a Davis with weatherduino
I have an aging Davis system and would like to replace it with a Weatherduino. I currently store the data on a raspberry pi and run a simple web site from it. I don't want to disturb this part of my weather setup so a Weatherduino seems a great solution. Simply replace the Davis with the Weatherduino - the same data protocol and away you go!

I have three questions though.

1. I want to incorporate a data logging function the same as the Davis Data Logger. If the Raspberry PI goes down I don't want to lose data. From the comparison chart I see the Pro2 PLUS system has a Davis data logging function but the Pro2 Compact does not. Is the data logging function of the pro2 Plus a built in function or do I need a real Davis logger to make it work?

2. Is there any way I could use the Pro2 Compact system and add a Logging function?

3. If I were to build a Pro2 Plus system, I note the PCB can no longer be bought with the SMD components pre-assembled. Is there a kit of SMD parts available or do I have to source all the tiny bits on ebay? I have done quite a bit of electronics building in the past but I have never assembled SMD parts. Is it even possible to do by hand??

Thanks for any help.
Hello Adrian_Hudson,

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for interest in the WeatherDuino Weather Stations.
I will try to answer to your questions:

Quote:1. I want to incorporate a data logging function the same as the Davis Data Logger. If the Raspberry PI goes down I don't want to lose data. From the comparison chart I see the Pro2 PLUS system has a Davis data logging function but the Pro2 Compact does not. Is the data logging function of the pro2 Plus a built in function or do I need a real Davis logger to make it work?

Yes, the data logging function of the Pro2 Plus is a built in function. It uses the same chip used on Davis data logger, have the same capacity and behaves the same way. The chip may be somewhat difficult to find, but under request I can supply the Pro2 PLUS board with the chip already installed.

Quote:2. Is there any way I could use the Pro2 Compact system and add a Logging function?

No, the data logger chip can't be installed on the Pro2 Compact.

Quote:3. If I were to build a Pro2 Plus system, I note the PCB can no longer be bought with the SMD components pre-assembled. Is there a kit of SMD parts available or do I have to source all the tiny bits on ebay? I have done quite a bit of electronics building in the past but I have never assembled SMD parts. Is it even possible to do by hand??

Unfortunately I'm unable to supply the parts as a kit, but all of them can easily be found through eBay sellers.
Soldering SMD parts seems difficult, but the truth is that it's easier than we thought, and faster than using through hole parts. A desk magnifying glass helps a lot.

Kind regards
Werk_AG
Thank you for your kind reply :-)
Adrian