Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pro2 Compact not starting at times

I have the    Pro2 Compact   connected to a laptop on win10 using CumulusMX.
It runs fine  most of the time unless the pro2 is disconnected from the USB or Windows reboots for any reason.
When power is restored to the Pro2 and Cumulus is restarted the Pro2 screen goes blank and data stops.
I find I need to reinstall the software to the Pro2 then start CumulusMX and everything returns to normal.
Any ideas, please 
Thanks 
Philip

Hello Philip,

Quite strange Undecided

Does the TFT goes blanks just when Cumulus starts, or right after the Pro Compact gets power from the USB port?
Instead of re-uploading the software have you tried press the reset button on the Wemos?

In any case, after a power down, only start the Cumulus software after the initial screen which says "Gathering Data" goes away.
I never saw that behaviour, so please keep me updated.

(13-04-2019, 01:12)Werk_AG Wrote:  Hello Philip,

Quite strange Undecided

Does the TFT goes blanks just when Cumulus starts, or right after the Pro Compact gets power from the USB port?
Instead of re-uploading the software have you tried press the reset button on the Wemos?

In any case, after a power down, only start the Cumulus software after the initial screen which says "Gathering Data" goes away.
I never saw that behaviour, so please keep me updated.
The Pro 2 starts up as normal when I plug it into the laptop usb. I leave it running until all data is received. Then when I start CumulusMX the TFT goes blank.
Next time I will try using the res to button and see what happens.
Thanks 
Philip

Hi Philip,

I confirm the reported problem. It works with Cumulus 1, but occasionally the blank screen appears when CumulusMX is starting.
Already added a note on the download software page. Until I find what is causing the problem, the solution may be revert back to version 2.1

Thank you

(14-04-2019, 01:48)Werk_AG Wrote:  Hi Philip,

I confirm the reported problem. It works with Cumulus 1 but occasionally it have issues with CumulusMX, causing the blank screen when it starts.
Already added a note on the download software page. Until I find what is causing the problem, the solution may be revert back to version 2.1

Thank you
I will change to version 2.1. 
But I might setup a Raspberry pi as that won't automatically update and restart like windows. I have turned off the automatic update but Microsoft seems to ignore that. ☹️
Thanks for the confirmation.
Cheers 
Philip

I will be working on it on the next days, however this kind of issues which happen occasionally aren't easy to debug.

(14-04-2019, 02:25)Werk_AG Wrote:  I will be working on it on the next days, however this kind of issues which happen occasionally aren't easy to debug.

Yes, very difficult to trace.

Hello Philip,

After one day poking around this matter, I can say that the reported issue isn't related with the latest software, it can also happen with other versions. The issue seems related with the first time the serial port is opened after powering up the receiver.
Technically, the issue seems related to the DTR line (which drives the GPIO0 pin to low). I will continue investigating.

Interestingly, when it happens, if we close CumulusMX, press the reset button to recover from the blank screen, and then (when the receiver is ready) start CumulusMX again, everything will work fine.
With Cumlus 1, this issue doesn't happen. Haven't tested with WeeWx yet.

Hi Werk, Hi Philip,

I can confirm a similar behaviour with the WD display unit.
It can freeze at booting, when connected to a Windows PC initializing the device.
I think it might be a issue with the device driver in Windows and I had the topic especially with a USB3.0 port.

So I think this it not directly related with the software used but with the driver initializing the com port in Windows.

Best regards,
engolling

(15-04-2019, 10:15)engolling Wrote:  So I think this it not directly related with the software used but with the driver initializing the com port in Windows.

I can also confirm this phenomenon for a long time and very probably with all versions of Arduino. On the other hand,
I think the idea - the CumulusMX on Raspberry PI is the best, even if it doesn't do everything like the Cumulus. In principle,
Linux reboots never happen randomly, and many of my servers run for years without rebooting. And Raspbian behaves equally
steadily.

I wouldn't worry about this problem myself ...  Cool

Best Regards
Zdenek

[Image: banner.php]
My outdoor AQM-I: here