Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average

Measuring Solar Radiation based on Photovoltaic Cells

Cool

A small problem, when I plug in the solar sensor board with both UV sensor and Solar PV attached,(with UV enabled ) cumulus displays 16 on both UV and solar displays on cumulus. It is dark at the moment. When I remove the UV sensor and leave solar pv plugged in the solar goes to zero (which is correct) and uv remains at 16. Any ideas?

Please post Config_RX.h and Config_TX.h of the TX unit where the Solar / UV unit is connected.

Also, hope you haven't forget that the silk print labels for Vcc and Sig on the UVM-30A connector are swapped.

Not sure about screen print Vcc / Signal swap. Do I do this on the board?

RX

Code:
#define SRUV_OutUnit     1   // 0 for Solar Rad / UV sensors connected to TX_Unit 0, 1 for TX_Unit1, 9 for not used
// ---- Define installed Solar / UV Sensors
#define Solar_Sensor     1   // 0 for not present; 1 for present
#define UV_Sensor        1   // 0 for not present; 1 for present

TX

Code:
// --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
//   User configurable options
// --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#define StationID  0xA1    // Must be equal to your RX Unit (Value from 0x00 to 0xFF)  
#define UnitID        1    // If you use only one TX unit define it as UnitID = 0
                           // For a second TX unit, define it as UnitID = 1

// -------  Define type of Temperature Humidity for Sensor 0 and Sensor 1 --------------
#define TH_Sensor0  0      // 0 for SHT2x sensor, 1 for HTU21 sensor, 9 for Not Used
#define TH_Sensor1  0      // 0 for SHT1x sensor, 1 for DHT22 sensor, 9 for Not Used

// -------  Let's define the data we want to send --------------------
#define ID0      // Temp/Hum Data
//#define ID1      // Not Used
//#define ID2      // Wind data
//#define ID3      // Rain data
#define ID4      // UV / SolRad data
#define ID5      // Hardware Status - System Temp, Battery Voltage etc

Config files are OK.

(13-02-2016, 22:14)JT118 Wrote:  Not sure about screen print Vcc / Signal swap. Do I do this on the board?

Yes on the board.
Sensor Sig. should be connected to Vcc on the board and sensor Vcc to Sig.

This silk print error affects Solar / UV boards v3.10 and v3.20

Thanks, Swapped connections and it is working as it should. Just need to get mount sorted out for outside.

Hello,

I'm interested in make a solar radiation meter.
I'm testing this solar panel YHP-AB-2-55
[Image: epoxy-solar-panels-s-02.jpg]

I test in a NodeMCU.
Do you think is possible this work?

Hi,

Is that photo actually of the cell? The last four cells in the table (attached) don't show (rectangular) dimensions but a Chinese character and one digit. Might they be circular?

The last note in the table suggests that the cells are PolyCrystalline. That might not be quite as "good" as MonoCrystalline, but the differences now seem quite small. What you should avoid is Amorphous (or thin film) Silicon panels (often used in cheap solar garden lights, etc.) which have less satisfactory characteristics.

My greater concern would be the first line in the table because I don't know how the "Epoxy Resin or PET Polyester film" compares with a normal glass surface.

The data suggests that for a maximum of 300 mV (which I believe the "normal" WeatherDuino Op Amp board uses), the load resistor should be about 5.1 ohms (R = 300 / 58). Perhaps you can tell us if it works?

Cheers, Alan.

Hi,

Well with help, I test but I think not work fine.
Do not up and down gradual
Please you say 300mV could you splain this value?

Best regards,
David.

Hi,

Sorry I mis-remembered the value. In post #3 of this thread it's quoted as 130 mV. So the resistor value would be nearer 2.2 ohms, if your specified panel were used with the Weatherduino solar interface board.

But I would expect any PV panel to give "reasonable" results. The differences are really concerned only with precise measurements and long-term stability, etc..

Cheers, Alan.