This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.33 Average
Measuring Solar Radiation based on Photovoltaic Cells
Hi all,

Many thanks @uncle_bob for all the information provided!
If I use a voltage+current measurement device with a solar cell, can I just easily find the W/m2 by multiplying the current with the voltage without needing to find Isc?

Thank you and best regards
Hi,

Welcome to the forum.
Please read the theory behind using a solar cell as a cheap pyranometer. You can't use a solar cell for that purpose unless it is working very near the short circuit zone, thus the need to know the Isc to calculate the Rsh
(18-08-2019, 21:37)HF_ATL Wrote: If I use a voltage+current measurement device with a solar cell, can I just easily find the W/m2 by multiplying the current with the voltage without needing to find Isc?

Hi and welcome to the forum.

What type of "voltage+current measurement device" do you plan to use?    A normal "wattmeter" needs to be used in association with a suitable load (resistance) and selecting / controlling that is the "difficult" part of solar panel optimisation and management.

But with a simple multimeter you could measure the "Open Circuit voltage" on its Volts range and the "Short Circuit current" (of a SMALL solar cell) on the Amps range.  Multiply those and you might get "somewhere near to" (but more than) the maximum power the cell / panel might be able to produce.  Then you need to take into account the probable energy conversion efficiency of the cell (typically 10% - 20%) and its active area to estimate the solar watts/m[sup]2[/sup].

What type of "Solar Cell" do you have in mind?  Both the low cost "Epoxy coated" and the "Amorphous Silicon" types have various (long-term) accuracy issues.

Cheers,  Alan.
Hello,

Thank you @AllyCat and @Werk_AG for your comments.
I have a 0.5 Watt Round Polycrystalline waterproof Solar Panel (2.5v, 250ma, 11.2cm diameter) which I would like to use to measure W/m2 in my home.
I have already some other sensors in my station (temp, humidity, etc.) and decided to include also the solar radiation measurement.
For voltage and current reading I have the INA219 (current shunt and power monitor with I2C interface), which I thought of using for this measurement but seems that the reading the voltage (with a accurate calc of the Rsh) seems the way to go...
(18-08-2019, 21:37)HF_ATL Wrote: Many thanks @uncle_bob for all the information provided!

Thank Werk. I only used google translate on Werk's Portuguese post.
I still don't understand it entirely, but then I'm a bit dense Smile
Thank you both!  Smile
Indeed I'm also Portuguese so the portuguese post would be even better for me  Tongue