Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

I'm under way

Just one caution with the saucers for the radiation shield. I notice that they have a bit of a turn up at the edge.
If it is able to be rained on, the lip will hold a small amount of rain and that can affect the humidity reading until it evaporates. Better if possible to have ones that the rain can just run off.

Radiation shields are a complete subject and you will find as many different designs and ideas as there are people building weather stations. Ones built from plastic are not ideal as they tend to re radiate into the internal cavity. Although more complex to build, using a light timber like pine will generally get a better result.
A proper stevenson screen will normally have 2 sets of louvres so that there is no possibility of external radiation penetrating the enclosure while allowing the free flow of air.

(20-12-2014, 08:19)Live_Steam_Mad Wrote:  
(31-07-2014, 00:37)Werk_AG Wrote:  
My home made aspired radiation shield
[Image: My_Rad_Shield.jpg]

I am curious, where did you get those white plastic "plates" / "dishes" / "bowls" that you made your FARS from? Got a link to the item?

Regards,

Alistair G.

Chaos Manor Weather
Mount Evelyn, Australia
http://www.sdsnet.net/weather/cumulus/indexframe.htm

LaCrosse WS-2300, until I have a Weatherduino Pro2 running.

(13-05-2015, 16:23)Stuarts Wrote:  Just one caution with the saucers for the radiation shield. I notice that they have a bit of a turn up at the edge.
If it is able to be rained on, the lip will hold a small amount of rain and that can affect the humidity reading until it evaporates. Better if possible to have ones that the rain can just run off.

You are right. That's why all the dishes have small holes near the border. It's difficult to see them on the image, unless you know they are there.

Good thinking. I didn't notice that.

(14-05-2015, 21:17)Werk_AG Wrote:  
(13-05-2015, 16:23)Stuarts Wrote:  Just one caution with the saucers for the radiation shield. I notice that they have a bit of a turn up at the edge.

You are right. That's why all the dishes have small holes near the border. It's difficult to see them on the image, unless you know they are there.

Chaos Manor Weather
Mount Evelyn, Australia
http://www.sdsnet.net/weather/cumulus/indexframe.htm

LaCrosse WS-2300, until I have a Weatherduino Pro2 running.

Wow my thread went off topic there (awhile back), but I have an update!! Smile

After something like 3 or 4 years, I've finally made my case for the Ro2 RX unit. It was built slowly up over a week or so using 3.6mm plywood that almost feels like balsa wood. I may do some more work on it and varnish it as some point (and I find the small paint brushes lol).

There is a video coming (done)but in the meantime here's some photo.

[Image: IMG_1063.JPG]

Some photos of construction using age old techniques Smile

[Image: IMG_1036.JPG]

[Image: IMG_1038.JPG]

[Image: IMG_1041.JPG]

[Image: IMG_1043.JPG]

[Image: IMG_1044.JPG]

[Image: IMG_1046.JPG]

[Image: IMG_1049.JPG]

[Image: IMG_1052.JPG]

[Image: IMG_1053.JPG]

[Image: IMG_1055.JPG]

[Image: IMG_1061.JPG]

[Image: IMG_1064.JPG]

[Image: IMG_1065.JPG]

The shape was inspired by the look of the old Apollo era mission control workstation like below Smile

[Image: p118.jpg]