Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How to get all Weatherduino data into Thingspeak

Hi Guys - was looking for some advice on the simplest, most straight forward way to get the full set of Weatherduino data into Thingspeak, including temp, humidity, soil moisture etc. I want to try and combine soil moisture, rain and evapotranspiration to optimise my water use with an internet connected irrigation system. 

Should I modify the code for the Rx unit ? or is this likely to cause problems ? It will create a maintenance issue for me for future upgrades, so i am reluctant to do this.  My Weatherduino is attached to a PC running Cumulus. Should i be trying to get the data from this  source ? I have not written a program for 20+ years so if someone can point me in the right direction and give me some tips that would be appreciated.

BTW - i have been really impressed with the Weatherduino i built. It has been very reliable and does a great job.

CumulusMX allowes to save data to an external SQL database. Maybe this is a good and easy way to get the data.
Another solution could be he way my data logging feature works. Add a few lines of code and get the data through serial3 of the RX unit.
Have a nice day.
engolling

(03-12-2018, 03:57)coupe pete Wrote:  Hi Guys - was looking for some advice on the simplest, most straight forward way to get the full set of Weatherduino data into Thingspeak, including temp, humidity, soil moisture etc. I want to try and combine soil moisture, rain and evapotranspiration to optimise my water use with an internet connected irrigation system. 

Should I modify the code for the Rx unit ? or is this likely to cause problems ? It will create a maintenance issue for me for future upgrades, so i am reluctant to do this.  My Weatherduino is attached to a PC running Cumulus. Should i be trying to get the data from this  source ? I have not written a program for 20+ years so if someone can point me in the right direction and give me some tips that would be appreciated.

BTW - i have been really impressed with the Weatherduino i built. It has been very reliable and does a great job.

Hello coupe pete

Is good to know that you are happy with WeatherDuino reliability.
Modifying the code to send the full set of WeatherDuino data to Thingspeak (or other web service) may not be hard, but due to the amount of data, for sure that it will cause memory problems. By other side, as you noted it will turn software upgrades harder.

If you uploading Cumulus data to a webserver, storing all data on a DB can be easy. There are some PHP scripts from Mark Crossley which can be run from a cronjob on the server, which by turn will insert the data from the realtime.txt or dayfile.txt files onto a DB.
As Engolling said CumulusMX can directly store data on a DB, but it only works if you have the DB on the same machine where you run CumulusMX or a server on a private virtual machine (shared hosting will not work).

I confess I never tried the other option suggested by Engolling, of using their own code modification which should allow access to all data through serial 3. This solution may also requires some cares on software upgrades, but at least it is maintained and tested, and there are instructions available.