Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Date and Time issue with WD Pro4 Wireless Display

Hello there

I've got a WeatherDuino Pro 2 system (TX v3.12 and RX V6.0) and a WeatherDuino 4Pro Wireless Display, all of this has been working well for quite a while now until a couple of days ago. The TX is running software v6.0_b007, the RX is running V4.0_b005 and the Wireless Display is running V4.0_b005. 

A couple of nights ago I decided to make a small change to the configuration of the Weather Display so that it would pick up the four day forecast from my Wunderground PWS. The change I made worked and it was pulling down the four day forecast from Wunderground. After a few minutes the date and time reset from the current time to 01 January 1970 00:00

After some checking through posts on here I decided to remove the Arduino IDE and do a fresh install of version 1.8.4 and worked with fresh downloads of the WD software from here. Once this was done I re-flashed the RX and the Wireless Display but the problem still seems to exist.

I enabled the RF and NTP debugging on the Wireless Display and monitored the output in the Serial Monitor of the Arduino IDE. I noticed an RF packet type 127 was being received and at this point the date and time would go to 1st January 1970 00:00. On looking through the code and doing some checking elsewhere I can see that 127 packets set the clock on the Wireless Display. 

I can't understand why this would suddenly start happening, I've not made other changes to my setup. The RX unit is connected to a Raspberry Pi3 running the latest version of CumulusMX and it gets it's time from the Pi3. The date and time in CumulusMX is correct.

Has anyone seen this issue before? Does anyone have any suggestions of things to try?

Thanks
Chris :-)

(17-01-2019, 23:32)cjthomson Wrote:  ...
software from here. Once this was done I re-flashed the RX and the Wireless Display but the problem still seems to exist.

Hi Chris

To solve this issue downgrade your AVR boards version to v1.6.21, no matter what IDE version you are using and reprogram the RX unit. AVR boards 1.6.22 or AVR board 1.6.23 are the cause of the problem.
This matter is covered on several posts on the forum, also there is also a note on the software download page:

IMPORTANT:
Always compile using the provided libraries.
Tested with Arduino IDE 1.8.8 using AVR Boards Manager 1.6.21.
It not work reliably with AVR Boards Manager 1.6.22 and 1.6.23 usually installed by default with Arduino IDE >= 1.8.6

[Image: ide187.jpg]

(17-01-2019, 23:57)Werk_AG Wrote:  
(17-01-2019, 23:32)cjthomson Wrote:  ...
software from here. Once this was done I re-flashed the RX and the Wireless Display but the problem still seems to exist.

Hi Chris

To solve this issue downgrade your AVR boards version to v1.6.21, no matter what IDE version you are using and reprogram the RX unit. AVR boards 1.6.22 or AVR board 1.6.23 are the cause of the problem.
This matter is covered on several posts on the forum, also there is also a note on the software download page:

IMPORTANT:
Always compile using the provided libraries.
Tested with Arduino IDE 1.8.8 using AVR Boards Manager 1.6.21.
It not work reliably with AVR Boards Manager 1.6.22 and 1.6.23 usually installed by default with Arduino IDE >= 1.8.6

Hi Werk

Sorry I should have said that I had made sure I was using v1.6.21 of the boards manager as per the other posts here. Basically I removed Arduino from my laptop and deleted the libraries and started with a fresh installation. I used all the libraries that were included in the WD software.

I then recompiled the software and uploaded to both the RX and the WeatherDisplay thinking that this would resolve the problem.

I will try removing the IDE again, the only thing I can think of is perhaps I missed something when removing it.

Chris

Hi Werk

I've re-installed the IDE from scratch and copied the libraries across from both the RX and WeatherDisplay software in to the default library location. I've then re-compiled the software for both and uploaded. Unfortunately the problem remains :-(

This is the packet message from the serial monitor on the Weather Display

00:29:58 - Station ID: A3  PacketID: 127 Full Message: A3007F 77 1 12 1E 

I'll have a think about what else to try.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Sorry, I haven't understood that your RX is a Pro2 and not a Pro2 PLUS.

Its possible that the error is being caused to an incompatibility in the time format sent from the RX to the new WiFi Wireless Display units.
I will try to check it as soon as possible.

Hi Chris,

It is confirmed. There is an incompatibility between the date and time format sent by the old Pro2 receiver and the format that the new WiFi Wireless Display units expect to receive. Since these units can fetch the date and time from the Internet, a quick fix to make them work with the old Pro2 receiver, is by preventing the Pro2 RX to sent the date and time.

Supposing you are using the latest Pro2 RX software v4.0_b001, just comment line 475.

Code:
     //sendData(Relay_ID, 127, YearNow - 1900, MonthNow , DayNow, Master_Time);

Please let me know if this solved the problem.

(18-01-2019, 03:12)Werk_AG Wrote:  Hi Chris,

It is confirmed. There is an incompatibility between the date and time format sent by the old Pro2 receiver and the format that the new WiFi Wireless Display units expect to receive. Since these units can fetch the date and time from the Internet, a quick fix to make them work with the old Pro2 receiver, is by preventing the Pro2 RX to sent the date and time.

Supposing you are using the latest Pro2 RX software v4.0_b001, just comment line 475.

Code:
     //sendData(Relay_ID, 127, YearNow - 1900, MonthNow , DayNow, Master_Time);

Please let me know if this solved the problem.

Hi Werk

That quick fix is something I had thought about doing last night when I reported the issue. I've just commented out that line and tested the fix. It seems to be working as expected.

Thanks
Chris