Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Air Quality data fields

Hello all

I'm am awaiting components for a full WeatherDuino system here in NZ. In the mean time I am getting the weather software ready at 41south.net.nz. I'm using Weewx with "Belchertown" skin and MQTT for live data. I understand that WD imitates the VP series of weather stations for data transmission, is there an explanation as to which data fields carry the Air Quality data? 

Thanks
Colin

41south.net.nz powered by WeatherDuino and Weewx

Hi Colin,

As certainly you expect, the Air Quality data isn't transmitted to Cumulus, WeewX or any other, by the Davis communications protocol, just because there isn't any data fields suitable for this kind of data on the Davis protocol. However, the WeatherDuino receiver software allow to ways to export the Air Quality data:
1- Send them directly to your own server (More info on this here: Using WeatherDuino Pro2 PLUS to upload AQM data to a website database with SQL)
2- Send them to a Thinkspeek channel (Click to see an example)

Please search on the forum, there are some threads about this matter.

Excellent, thanks very much Smile

Is there such thing as a how-to to send the data into the ThingSpeak charts? I have created an account - step one done  Big Grin This is new territory so any help would be appreciated.

In addition with the Pro2 plus RX, data can be sent over an additional UART (Serial Port 3 on the Meduino - soldering a bit is needed) and read out from any 5V UART device (or level shifted to e.g. 3V3 for a RaspberryPi). Afterwards data can be processed:
  • stored on a text file
  • sent in a database
But these tasks need to be done by yourself...
For Raspberry Pi engolling wrote some nice features:
http://www.meteocercal.info/forum/Thread...ging-addon

(27-08-2018, 23:27)41south Wrote:  Excellent, thanks very much Smile

Is there such thing as a how-to to send the data into the ThingSpeak charts? I have created an account - step one done  Big Grin This is new territory so any help would be appreciated.

Please refer to this thread: Air Quality Monitor - How to upload data to ThingSpeak

My searching abilities fail me  Blush

Thank you, that makes it very easy

My question is sort of related to the original question so I thought I'll use this thread Smile

Yesterday my SHT10 on my TX unit went bung and luckily I had a replacement to swap it out. These sensors don't seem very reliable, I'm lucky to get a year out them (Maybe I should pony up some extra cash and buy the more expensive type). Anyway this got me thinking Smile ....

..... Back to the question, which is actually more of a food for thought type of question.
I think it would be great if the AQM could also be like a TX unit so it's temp and humidity could be mapped on the RX units.
I know there's the issue with the Davis protocol so the question is, could the AQM transmit both data sets?

(19-10-2018, 02:28)uncle_bob Wrote:  ...
I think it would be great if the AQM could also be like a TX unit so it's temp and humidity could be mapped on the RX units.

And it can! Temp. and Humidity from AQM can be mapped on the RX, to any of the seven Extra Sensors. By default it is mapped to the last Extra Sensor.
If your though are about using the AQM T/H sensor as your main outdoor T/H sensor, it can't and shouldn't be done, and there are many reasons for this: one of them could be that the AQM T/H sensor, most of the times is installed inside the AQM box (and it should be) near the Dust Sensor, because their main purpose is provide Air Moisture data, to allow compensation of the readings given by the Dust sensor, which should be compensated depending on the RH%

Quote:Yesterday my SHT10 on my TX unit went bung and luckily I had a replacement to swap it out. These sensors don't seem very reliable, I'm lucky to get a year out them (Maybe I should pony up some extra cash and buy the more expensive type). Anyway this got me thinking Smile ....

SHT31 cost less than the SHT10 and will last more time. Anyway if your location have frequent or long periods with high RH%, don't expect more than 2 years from any of them, which is acceptable.

(19-10-2018, 04:59)Werk_AG Wrote:  
(19-10-2018, 02:28)uncle_bob Wrote:  ...

And it can! Temp. and Humidity from AQM can be mapped on the RX, to any of the seven Extra Sensors. By default it is mapped to the last Extra Sensor.

Ahh yes, of course I had forgotten about that. *Shakes head in disbelief*

(19-10-2018, 04:59)Werk_AG Wrote:  If your though are about using the AQM T/H sensor as your main outdoor T/H sensor, it can't and shouldn't be done, and there are many reasons for this: one of them could be that the AQM T/H sensor, most of the times is installed inside the AQM box (and it should be) near the Dust Sensor, because their main purpose is provide Air Moisture data, to allow compensation of the readings given by the Dust sensor, which should be compensated depending on the RH%
My setup is a bit different from the usual. All my electronics is in the one box with air forced over all the sensors, PCB's and heat sinks. I think it works well.
So I think using the AQM temps data as the main Outdoor temp sensor would work OK, at least while replacements arrived. I'm off to order some SHT31's for stock now but I thought my idea may have had merit.

Thanks for the feedback though
Cheers UB