This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
AQMll max cabling distances
HI

Just received all the goodies I ordered  Thanks !

I am having difficulty in deciding the location of the SDS011 sensor  wrt the AQM11 pcb.

The SDS011 uses serial comms, however it is only +5 to 0V,  not +- V as per standard.

Please can anyone tell me the maximum advisable distance between the ESP8266 and the SDS011, with reliable communication.  Practical experience would be useful!
I would like to be able to choose a location for the sensor and AQMll and make off the correct length of cable with plugs and sockets and not have to do it twice!

many thanks

Patrick
Hello Patrick,

My experience always says to make cables as short as possible. In this case, it would mean a maximum of about 1/4 meter.
But I don't know the exact answer to your question...

An example of this is the image of my oldest version of AQM:

[Image: DSC_7444-upr-sm.jpg]

Or a picture of a 3D print on our WiKi (but Jarek has not yet published a program):

That means: all in one box.
Best Regards
Zdenek

Hi Patrick,

As Zdenek said, the shorter the cable the better. I would nor go for longer than 25 cm.

Let me give some hints:
- Install everything on the same box.
- The air intake on the SDS011 sensor is on the back. There is an adapter for a tube. If you wish, you can attach a small plastic tube and extend it to outside of the box (take care for water not get in).

[Image: sds011-large.png]

- Connect sensor this way:
AQMII  --  SDS011

SET ->    RXD
TX   ->    TXD
GND ->    GND
5V   ->    5V
MeteoCercal - Air Quality Data
Click here to watch at my ThingSpeak channel