Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Rain gauge reed switch

Hi,
I have a doubt on the proper functioning of the reed switch of my rain gauge.(Oregon RGR918 )
By low rain some tips are missed and by heavy rain rain some tips are doubbled or invented.
I plan to replace it, but which to choose? (voltage, current, etc.)
I have one from RS ref: 338-147, is this suitable ?
Thanks for your advices.

BTW: is it possible to replace the reed switch by a hall effect sensor ? (with one more wire connected to +5V)

Laurent

Hi,

Answered on the Sandaysoft Forum. Wink

Yes, it would be possible to use a Hall sensor, but IMHO not a worthwhile modification.

Hall sensors have more benefit with the Wind (speed) sensors, but also maybe more complex: The magnetic field might reverse, and generally a reed would "see" two (opposite magnetic polarity) pulses, the Hall only one.

Cheers, Alan.

I just joined the forum in an attempt to find out about my Reed switch rain guage. It's  difficult to explain and I can't figure out how to include a picture.  I'll try to describe what it looks like. Upside down cone 5 inches on bottom,  2 inches on top. The top 2 inch has a inner cone directing the water into a 1 inch be 4 inch tube. The overflow of this tube goes down a hose into a 3/4 by 1 inch tube with a Reed swirch glued to top with phone cord attached. When rain fills larger tube to overflow the hose siphon large tube into smaller to turn on Reed switch for a given time. What do I have and what does the phone line do? Ring a bell? Flip a switch. I could send a pic if I could figure it out. Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

(28-06-2018, 13:16)1977he Wrote:  I just joined the forum in an attempt to find out about my Reed switch rain guage. It's  difficult to explain and I can't figure out how to include a picture.  I'll try to describe what it looks like. Upside down cone 5 inches on bottom,  2 inches on top. The top 2 inch has a inner cone directing the water into a 1 inch be 4 inch tube. The overflow of this tube goes down a hose into a 3/4 by 1 inch tube with a Reed swirch glued to top with phone cord attached. When rain fills larger tube to overflow the hose siphon large tube into smaller to turn on Reed switch for a given time. What do I have and what does the phone line do? Ring a bell? Flip a switch. I could send a pic if I could figure it out. Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

Best Regards
Zdenek

[Image: banner.php]
My outdoor AQM-I: here

(28-06-2018, 13:16)1977he Wrote:  ... What do I have and what does the phone line do? Ring a bell? Flip a switch. ...

Or to calling home when its raining!  Smile

Hi 1977he,
Welcome to the forum.
To publish a picture, just add it as attachment.

(28-06-2018, 13:16)1977he Wrote:  I just joined the forum in an attempt to find out about my Reed switch rain guage. It's difficult getting the pic under 500k

Attached Files Image(s)