Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

RX Unit wifi no connection after changing SSID

Hi,
I had the wifi on my RX unit working, at least it connected to my wifi, and I could see it on the router/wireless network connected devices list.
It did however showed on the display that it was connecting every 5 minutes or so (don't know if that's normal?). There was also a green dot on the display.

Now I had it connected to the 'Guest' account on my wifi, which meant it was not visible to my laptop. The Guest account issues a different group of IP addresses: 192.168.101.xx vs 192.168.100.xx for the 'normal' connections.

To fix this I changed the wifi credentials in the software to my 'normal' network. I copied and pasted both the SSID and the password from the router webpage, to avoid typos.
Compiled and uploaded all ok.

However the RX unit now fails to connect, and of course doesn't show up in the connected devices list.

Encryption is set to the same scheme on both the Guest and normal wifi. The router does have both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wifi, with different SSID's, I tried both but no differences.

I do have all the on-line options for the several weather data sites on in the software, but have no accounts there yet. But I can't see that having any influence on the problem.

Could there be a reset or something like that needs to be done? I tried the reset button on the RX board, but no change.
Thanks for any tips or suggestions.

Gerard

I had a thought overnight, it could be nonsense, but is there a limit to the password length?
I've got a 20 character or perhaps even more long password. The router came with this and I never changed it.
For the Guest account it is substantially shorter, I had to come up with that one myself! That is the only difference I can think of right now between the 2 accounts.

I'm not at home right now so can't try this, but will do that tomorrow.

Cheers,
Gerard

Hi all,
I've now got the WiFi connection working. I cleared the RX unit from the list in my WiFi router (it was in there under the Guest account).
And I've now set a fixed IP address for the RX unit. This address shows up under the System Info data screen.
I can ping this address ok, but going to it in my browser gives a 404 error.

The RX unit however still shows 'Connecting to WiFi' every couple of minutes. I can't imagine this is normal behaviour?

The 3 'LED' dots top left of the screen are:
Top: green ( I believe this is connection to time server)
Middle: red (connection to TX unit I think)
Bottom: yellow (not running latest firmware?)

I am running P2ESP8266_RX_v6.0_b003 , I can't find any newer versions.

Further problem is the failure to receiver the TX unit. But better put that in a new thread.
Thanks,
Gerard

Hi,

(10-02-2024, 22:38)GerardvanA Wrote:  ...
I've got a 20 character or perhaps even more long password. The router came with this and I never changed it.

Max password length is 32 chars, but be aware that some special characters may not be supported by the ESP8266

The RX unit however still shows 'Connecting to WiFi' every couple of minutes. I can't imagine this is normal behaviour?

That is not the normal behaviour. It should try to connect (reconnect) to WiFi only when WiFi connection isn't active.

I can ping this address ok, but going to it in my browser gives a 404 error.

Supossing the receiver is connected to WiFi, in your browser try: IPaddress/weather

Thanks for the answers, my wifi password is less than 32 characters and also no funny ones in there.
As it gets an IP address and I can ping it, that should be all ok.

In frustration I started again with a fresh copy of the firmware, but in the compile I now get an error about 'WeatherStation_URL" in the NET section.

It's late here now, and running out of time. I'll try to look at it again when I've got more time, in a few days from now and see if I can find something obvious.
Thanks anyway,
Gerard

An hint:

To start try to not enable every option you don't need or have no use to you at the moment, especially functions that will require a connection to servers that you haven't an active account yet (ex: upload to WU, ThingSpeak, My server, etc).

When you have the receiver working properly (with a stable WiFi connection and receiving that from your TX units), then you could start enabling other functions like uploading data to WeatherUnderground etc.

Rgs.
Werk_AG

Yes, I've been doing that. Trying to take 1 step at a time. At times it seems though that I get stuck at different places, that before didn't come up as a problem.

I assume all the options are set by either setting 0 or 1 in the Config_Options.h file.
Are there any options that have to be switched by commenting any lines out?

Thanks for the ongoing support!
Gerard

(13-02-2024, 01:32)GerardvanA Wrote:  ...
Are there any options that have to be switched by commenting any lines out?

Just the Debug options, and they should be kept active just when trying to find any assue.

(13-02-2024, 01:32)GerardvanA Wrote:  I assume all the options are set by either setting 0 or 1 in the Config_Options.h file.

Not all, some may required other numbers. Possible options for each case are commented in the Config_Options.h file

Rgs.
Werk_AG