Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

usb problems, maybe,who knows

Spoke too soon. Finally frozen at 21:34 after about 15 hours, and Cumulus is complaining that it has lost communication with the station. So I pulled the USB cable, and it unlocked.

qldbureau, Obviously something is causing troubles with the USB communication.
Try change the USB cable by one with ferrites, or try using a powered USB hub.

(23-07-2015, 15:32)Werk_AG Wrote:  qldbureau, Obviously something is causing troubles with the USB communication.
Try change the USB cable by one with ferrites, or try using a powered USB hub.

I'll give those a try. I have wondered if there is somehow 'noise' getting in and interfering. I'm starting to wonder if my metal case could be a culprit too...

It has been running for more than 24 hours since the last freeze. The last lock up happened just after I switched on my wifi enabled printer that sits next to the Rx box. Interference, or merely a co-incidence I cannot say since I repeat the procedure this morning with no affect.

This is a major improvement as there was a time I could not use the external power port. I am ordering a ferrite usb cable and powered hub. There is no urgency so I can wait.

Update: I already have a powered hub so have just set it up through that. Decided to power everything down and start again. I did get two freezes after setting everything back up, but now running again. Will see if anymore happen whilst waiting for the new cable.

Intermittent problems are very difficult to debug. Another thing you could try is changing the 12V power supply with other you may have.

Some time ago, the power supply of my portable computer died suddenly. In a hurry, I go to a chinese store and bought an universal portable pc power supply, the strange thing is that when I plug it to my computer, none of the USB ports work, not even the integrated mouse pad. Never had seen a thing like this. It's odd I know, but it's true.

Let's see if vk2kzo have any news about this matter.

I have put a different plug pack on. I could make up a cable to plug it into a 12 volt battery to isolate noise from cheap plug packs. I have to admit I am loathe to take a soldering iron for removal of parts to my board again - the transistor I had to replace (due to static shock I mentioned in another thread) was very difficult to desolder; however it might not hurt replacing the voltage regulator. I am not convinced the remainder of parts associated with the 12 volts ought to be an issue.

Unfortunately the lock ups started before the static shock incident.

Now before one of the lock ups this morning when changing over to the powered hub the display scrambled when I plugged the usb cable in, which necessitated another power down. It would be interesting to know if vk2kzo has used a metal case too. It does seem a long shot this being an issue, however after the static shock onto the side of mine blowing transistor 2...

g'day all - I've had no luck - replaced the RTC - no change - reloaded everything - now worse (!), thing will (19 times out of 20) not show any outside reading even though I can hear the data on the rxcvr board and into pin 26 ok, nothing out on pin4. Tried usb hub - no difference. Isolated psu - no diff. Separate 5v usb feed made no diff. - cleaned board - no change - out of my league, only a simple technician !!
Also, forgot to mention, every time on uploading, I get error message "low memory available, stability problems may occur". They're not wrong!!

(25-07-2015, 03:56)qldbureau Wrote:  Now before one of the lock ups this morning when changing over to the powered hub the display scrambled when I plugged the usb cable in, which necessitated another power down.

That sounds like an intermittent or dry joint, possibly around the display section.

(25-07-2015, 04:27)vk2kzo Wrote:  g'day all - I've had no luck - replaced the RTC - no change - reloaded everything - now worse (!), thing will (19 times out of 20) not show any outside reading even though I can hear the data on the rxcvr board and into pin 26 ok, nothing out on pin4.

Are you getting a blink of the TX data LED?

Quote:Also, forgot to mention, every time on uploading, I get error message "low memory available, stability problems may occur". They're not wrong!!

Don't worry about that, it's usual when you have so much code crammed into a little space Smile

"Are you getting a blink of the TX data LED?" - when all is well, lots of blinking, lots of data (of various lengths and timings, both LED's). When not working, only occassional burst, in sync with the LED (the relay LED), about every 30 secs.