This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
capacitor value?
Hi all,
Another dumb question...
I just received an order of ceramic capacitors for the transmit board (C1, C2, C4, C5, C6, C9) which are supposed to be 100nf/50V. The marking on the capacitors is 104 which I understand to mean .1uf or 100nf or 100000pf (I think that's the correct number of zeros!). However, when I measure the capacitor with my meter I read about 46nf or about half the value I expect.

Is this normal/OK?

Cheers.
Hello,

The first two numbers are value, the third is a multiplier. 104 = 10 x 10(4) = 10(5) = 100 nF
(The numbers in parentheses should be small = exponent.)

Best Regards
Zdenek

[Image: banner.php]
(19-03-2019, 16:49)WetCoast Wrote: ...
The marking on the capacitors is 104 which I understand to mean .1uf or 100nf or 100000pf (I think that's the correct number of zeros!). However, when I measure the capacitor with my meter I read about 46nf or about half the value I expect.

Is this normal/OK?

You are right, 104 is the correct mark for a 100nF capacitor.
I believe that common capacity meters aren't able to give precise capacity readings, at least that is what happens with my capacity meter.
MeteoCercal - Air Quality Data
Click here to watch at my ThingSpeak channel

Sorry,

I didn't understand your question exactly ...  Blush

Indeed, some cheap measuring devices measure nonsense. But again, some surprise with their relative accuracy - such
as the picture - from China bought a relatively cheap Transistor Tester kit.
(The same capacity of 104 is always measured in the figures.)

Best Regards
Zdenek

That's why part of the WeatherDuino Labs are localized on Praha, Czech Republic. Smile Smile Smile

Thanks very much for your responses.
I will attribute the error to my meter, it isn't all that cheap (at least I didn't think it was) but it isn't really expensive either.
So I'll trust the markings on the caps and install them and not worry about it. Smile 

Thanks again.
(19-03-2019, 23:24)Werk_AG Wrote: That's why part of the WeatherDuino Labs are localized on Praha, Czech Republic.  Smile  Smile  

Big Grin Heart
Best Regards
Zdenek

(20-03-2019, 02:54)WetCoast Wrote: I will attribute the error to my meter, it isn't all that cheap (at least I didn't think it was) but it isn't really expensive either.
So I'll trust the markings on the caps and install them and not worry about it. Smile 

On the contrary, I recommend never to label any designation and always measure each component in advance!  Blush
Best Regards
Zdenek

(20-03-2019, 02:54)WetCoast Wrote: Thanks very much for your responses.
I will attribute the error to my meter, it isn't all that cheap (at least I didn't think it was) but it isn't really expensive either.

Thanks again.

I think we can trust in the markings on the caps. Go ahead.

my readings. It's kind of hard to read the numbers on the capacitor but it says 104 and the meter reads 43.0 nF
Do you think this is a problem? or will I be OK using these capacitors for the TX board C1, C2, ETC?

Attached File(s) Image(s)