Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What range can you expect between an RX and TX in Lora?

Hello,

I didn't find (or didn't look hard enough): what range can you expect between an RX and TX in Lora?

Thanks.

Hi,

As with any RF transmission the range depends on several factors, such as the number of concrete walls the signal need to pass through, antennas used, etc.
Under normal conditions, an indoor receiver can easily receive data from an outdoor transmitter placed 200 to 300 meters away. With external antennas and line of sight between receiver and transmitter range can go to 2 to 3 Km or even more.

Image bellow is from a test I did a year ago: On the test I used two TX units placed indoor, and a receiver installed on a car. No special directional antennas are used, just regular 868Mhz omni directional antennas, easily found on eBay and other online stores.

(28-11-2021, 20:39)Werk_AG Wrote:  Hi,

As with any RF transmission the range depends on several factors, such as the number of concrete walls the signal need to pass through, antennas used, etc.
Under normal conditions, an indoor receiver can easily receive data from an outdoor transmitter placed 200 to 300 meters away. With external antennas and line of sight between receiver and transmitter range can go to 2 to 3 Km or even more.

Image bellow is from a test I did a year ago: On the test I used two TX units placed indoor, and a receiver installed on a car. No special directional antennas are used, just regular 868Mhz omni directional antennas, easily found on eBay and other online stores.

Among other things, the LoRa protocol is very important for a dramatic increase in the sensitivity of the receiver compared to the AM OOK technology previously used by us.
With conventional OOK 433 MHz receivers, it is difficult to achieve a sensitivity higher than -112 dBm. Conversely, with very similar LoRa 868 MHz receivers, it is generally not a big problem to achieve a sensitivity of around -148 dBm.
This, of course, in itself implies a dramatic increase in the real reach of this technology.

Best Regards
Zdenek

[Image: banner.php]
My outdoor AQM-I: here