Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tx design

I am wondering with the advent of the new WD and Compact Rx modules being released is it possible that an alternate Tx board could be designed to allow it to be also re-programmed OTA.
I am sure many users find having to access the Tx board hosting the wind instruments etc for updates of software sometimes inconvenient, with some long periods of inclement weather and the fact that it is usually up on a mast and not always that readily accessible.
Kind regards,
Jim

Hi Jim,

I completely understand and share your thoughts about the upgrading the software of the transmitter units. That is is why software upgrades for transmitters unit are released only one or two times a year, usually in Spring and /or Autumn, which is the time where usually people will do maintenance / inspection of their weather instruments.

I'm sorry for disappointing you, but for now there isn't any plans for a transmitter unit with WiFi capabilities.

Hello Jim,

another solution would be to buy a raspberry pi zero w. This can be connected to the TX board via USB and can work as WiFi AP and it also can run the Arduino IDE.
So it would be possible to connect over RDP oder SSH with a laptop to your Pi Zero W and update the software on the TX Board.

The negative aspect is, that the Zero W has a current consumption of about 300mA in idle mode.

Regards,
Engolling

Hi 

I recently attached a Pi Zero W to my RX, I measured idle current of the Pi at about 80 mA, and about 60 mA once I switched off the hdmi.
Boot up and initiation was about 160 to 180 mA. This was measured with one of those plug in USB volt / amp meters, so mightn't be exactly accurate.The WiFi is on, it is running Cumulus

I have the Pro2 Plus RX and Pi zero running off the same 2A power supply, seems ok so far.

Regards,
Heeby

Thanks for the feedback Heeby Smile. Maybe my idle mode was not so "idle"  Rolleyes .
Moreover t3g hat another idea - to bring a wire with an on-switch in reachable distance . 
So you can start up the raspberry zero W with a power cycle over the switch (or it is already running) then connect to its WiFi AP and start a remote desktop session. From there you could Programm your TX Board with the Arduino IDE and shut the raspberry zero W down again.

So if there is a huge demand we could make a WeatherDuino TX Programmer by building a minibian OS with preconfigured AP function, RDP and Arduino just to dump on a micro sd and put it in a raspberry pi zero W.