This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Raspberry Pi and Cumulus MX
Darra Weather Queensland, Australia

Weather Station Status:
It was last started 14 days 15 hours

Smile Seems it is going well.
MeteoCercal - Air Quality Data
Click here to watch at my ThingSpeak channel

(29-10-2015, 02:34)Werk_AG Wrote: Darra Weather Queensland, Australia

Weather Station Status:
It was last started 14 days 15 hours

Smile Seems it is going well.

Yes! How time flies, only the day before on 13 days I checked the status page and could not believe how long it has been sitting where it is. Still to get a new housing to assemble into one unit.
You have a good reason to do a restart now Smile. A new software update for the RX unit, was released today.

Quote:Still to get a new housing to assemble into one unit.

If possible, when you're done post some pictures.

Hi Guys, I'm looking at using a R Pi to run Cumulus MX, and looking to start gathering my bits and pieces for this next stage of my WD project. I've had a look over on Sandysoft forum, and not sure if I need to buy a Pi2 or a Pi3..???? Looks like Pi2 can run CumulusMX, but not sure about Pi3. Hoping for some info from others that have done the Pi Cumulus integration with WD...

Thanks and cheers...

Mark R

OK, Just found a snippit on Sandysoft indicating that MX runs on Pi3:

New 2016-02-26:
* Support added for Pi 3, including Wifi and Bluetooth

Has anyone here tried Pi3..??? Looks like I need to be ordering a Pi3 from eBay...

Mark R
Check out Element14 for RPi3's as well. That's where I was planning to get mine from.
Hi,
FYI
MX also runs on BananaPi, some model have an integrated Sata port.
Laurent
According to Jomimota, a Portuguese user, Cumulus MX also runs on a Orange PI.

(24-04-2016, 12:07)Wizza Wrote: Has anyone here tried Pi3..?

I've had Cumulus MX running on an RPi 3 since a week after the RPi 3 was released. It works very well. I'm currently using the built in WiFi, so it's nice to not have USB dongles hanging off it.

The genuine Rasberry Pi power supplies are really good - they output 5.1v, so I've never seen the dreaded "overlay" when running from one. Bought mine from RS-Online, so I didn't have to pay for shipping.

You may want to contrive some form of 5v "UPS" to keep things running when the power fails. The Raspberry Pis have a nasty habit of killing their SD cards - often when the power fails while the card is being written to. For this reason, mine writes to a MySQL database hosted externally and does a daily backup of the Cumulus MX data directory to the same external server.
Great information Shred. I want to use a RPi to run Cumulus MX and I also wanted to capture the levels in our water tanks (we don't have town water where we live, so we rely on capturing rainwater off our roof into rainwater tanks). I have a water tank level device now which is connected to my Windows PC and I was wondering how I might capture the weather data and the tank level data in one application. Your database idea would probably work nicely. I'll look into it.
I've got Cumulus running ok now, but have not seen CumulusMX yet. When you run MX on a Pi, do you get the app GUI with all the stats and figures on the screen..??? Could you build a Pi into an enclosure with something like a 7" LCD Pi screen, and have all your WD data displayed on the Pi screen via CumulusMX ..?????

(24-04-2016, 22:34)Shred Wrote: .... Bought mine from RS-Online, so I didn't have to pay for shipping....

Great tip Shred, I forgot about the free shipping from RS-Online. And their pricing was great also. Ordered, and on the way.... Thanks..

Mark R