Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Powering TX unit in Northern Scotland

Hi, friends,

Yesterday and today I was without power energy to my garden installation TX1 and TX2, where I have:
2x solar panel polycrystalline 20Wp
Controller Wincong SL02-10A
Battery LiFePo4 12V/12AH

So, hvalentim is right ("At least a ~50W panel and a ~20Ah battery."), but maybe it's not even enough for me in CZ.
Probably - becuse I'm powering:
2x TX unit
1x Soil/Leaf Temp/Moisture interface
1x Auriol rain gauge
1x FineOffset wind vane, anemometer and rain gauge
1x UV sensor
1x solar sensor
4x temp/hum sensor
3x soil temp. sensor
1x soil hum. sensor
... I guess I finally have to measure actual consumption - I'm lazy and until now didn't do it, I didn't want ... Sad

Regards

Best Regards
Zdenek

[Image: banner.php]
My outdoor AQM-I: here

Do you run a fan as well? How often?
If so, bear in mind that the fan should draw as much if not more than the remaining stuff combined. Mine consumes ~140mAh.
Also, make sure the panels are fully exposed. Even seemingly small cast shadows reduce production a lot.
I am running a 85W panel with a 45Ah flooded battery (consumption includes a fan 24/24h and the RX unit as well) and so far the worst I got were 12,2V back in February.
Most of the time it drops down to a daily minimum of 12,5v (in Summer) and 12,4v in Winter (lower temperatures affect the battery outside).
But, we do have a fairly sunny climate Wink

(07-10-2016, 11:11)hvalentim Wrote:  Do you run a fan as well? How often?
If so, bear in mind that the fan should draw as much if not more than the remaining stuff combined. Mine consumes ~140mAh.
In the last few days, probably the fan almost hasn't turned on. But, you're right, consumes enough - according to the datasheet 160 mA.

(07-10-2016, 11:11)hvalentim Wrote:  But, we do have a fairly sunny climate Wink
But the last five days so it did not look at us Sad

Now it's about an hour sunny, so hopefully something will go again. In any case, the power supply system in the garden I will change - POE / Solar Dual input battery charging controller. Only it's a pity that this controller can not charge LiFePO4 battery. On the other hand, the baterry manufacturer states that it can be used instead of Pb battery. So I will probably try it. Wink

Regards

Best Regards
Zdenek

[Image: banner.php]
My outdoor AQM-I: here