This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
New Brisbane (Australia) WeatherDuino Station Coming Together
I did the first round of the re-calibration tonight on the rain sensor. Based on 314ml of water through the gauge representing 10ml of rain fall, and given a 200mm diameter collector, I set the correction factor in the TX sketch back to 0.200.

The first test I did was to manually perform 50 tips (by hand - no water), and I now get exactly 10ml of rainfall on the WD RX Display.

Next a quick bit of math. I divided down the test water amount and get ml / tip - 314 (ml) / 50 (tips) = 6.28ml (per tip). This is what I'm looking for in each bucket tip.

I set the gauge level, using the built-in (bullseye) spirit level. Then I adjusted the see-saw left/right, until I had it balancing deed in the middle. Next I used an eye dropper and set each bucket tip, as best I could, to 6.28ml per tip. Each time I would adjust the tipper mechanism with the set screw, and repeat. Eventually I got each bucket tip (side) set and was equal, and tipping 6.28ml per tip on each side.

I then measured out 314ml of water and ran it through the rain gauge as slow as I could. You need to get it down to "dripping" into the bucket, as the waistage if it is running though can be as much as 6 or 8 buckets (short / in error). You need the bucket to tip between drips. It really does make that much difference. Dripping it through, best I could, I got 49 tips for 314ml of water, which read 9.80ml rainfall on the WD RX display. So pretty close for a first try.

Next up, I am going to get a (new) hospital drip bag and line, and see if I can use that to do a slower and more accurate test, and repeat it over a few times. As needed, the next adjustment will be the counter weight, which should adjust both tip amounts equally (increase or decreased, as needed) when screwed up or down. Then rinse and repeat, as they say...

So for now, I think I've got it pretty close, and some more testing to come. Will keep you updated.

Cheers for now...
Mark R
Sounds good. the hospital drip sounds a good idea. It seems as if you are nearly there.
Afraid to say, but I'm back in "fault finding" mode.... While waiting for more gear to test/calibrate the rain sensor, I've been working on assembling the RX unit into an instrument case. All went well from a case build point of view, however I now have a new problem. Everything appears to be operational, however both LEDs on the receiver unit (TX LED and the (USB activity) LED) are hard on.

Cumulus software seems to be receiving data via the USB line ok and displaying it. I'm getting data received (wind, direction, temp, humidity) from the TX unit, and can see the info on the RX LCD screen. And the Wireless Display shows the data as well on its LCD screen. So TX and RX modules on the RX unit appear to be functioning ok. I ran up the spectrum analyzer and I can see the packet bursts on the 433MHz band.

Looking at the schematics, it seems at A1 line on the Nano must be set as an output and it operates (tranny) T2 (2N7000) to pull in GND for the TX module and the TX LED.???? However I am not seeing a constant transmission on the spektrum analyzer. But the TX LED is hard on. Not sure what to make of this....

Any ideas or clues would be very greatly appreciated. I'm continuing to look at the issue, but not sure what is going on yet....

Cheers for now...

Mark R

Ok, I put the CRO on the A1 line out of the Nano, and I can see it pulsing on to 5v, then off again. I then disconnected the TX LED from the board, getting ready to test T2, and immediately noticed that the (USB) LED immediately went from hard on to operating normally. Now with TX LED disconnected, I can see D2 line on the Nano pulsing, and the (USB) LED is pulsing on and off normally, as data is transmitted to the computer/Cumulus software.

As soon as I connect the TX led again, both LEDs go hard on. Continuing to fault find, and still not sure whats going on...

M
OK, fixed... After seeing the reaction of removing the TX LED, I went inspecting the solder side of the board as little more closely, looking around T2, R2 and R3 (current limiting resistors). What I found is that I had left the component leads a couple of mm's long on R2 and R3 after soldering, and they had bent towards each other sometime during assembly this afternoon, creating a short. Quick snip and problem solved... Arrgghhhh.. It's often something so easy that takes so long to solve....
WeatherDuino RX Station

Have posted a couple of photos of my receiver station, finished and mounted into a plastic instrument case. The cut-out for the LCD panel was the time consuming part. If you cut plastic with anything highspeed it often melts slightly on the edges as you cut, so in the end I used a variable speed scroll-saw with the blade speed at the absolute minimum. This gives you a nice clean and straight cut, and a quick file up afterwards is all that is required. I've installed a power supply and a 1.3AHr SLA battery, and the thought here is continuous running and uploads in the event of a power interruption and eventually running CumulusMX on a Pi in a second enclosure (below this enclosure) and using the single power supply for both. I used 'locking' toggle switches on the rear, and you need to pull them out to change their position. One is for run/program mode and the other is battery isolate.

{click on photos to enlarge}

Davis Anemometer
And my Davis anemometer arrived from the U.S. on Friday. Quick re-crimp of a 6P6C RJ12 onto the cable and it was up and running, and on test. Thanks JT for the pin-outs of this sensor and the cabling/crimp information.

{click on photos to enlarge}
Well Wizza, seems we have here another great build. I can't describe how is amazing for me see how each one adds interesting and creative personal touches on each construction. The internal UPS is a very interesting idea. What more to say? Congratulations!!!
I hope that using the WeatherDuino Pro2 system will give you as much pleasure as it gave to build it. Please continue presenting us with images of your constructions, they are inspiring for us.

Regards
Werk_AG
MeteoCercal - Air Quality Data
Click here to watch at my ThingSpeak channel

HI,
Could you please give more details on the battery backup system you are using ?
Laurent
(24-04-2016, 08:09)laulau Wrote: HI,
Could you please give more details on the battery backup system you are using ?
Laurent

Hi Laurent, We use these modules in the security industry, for alarm systems, cctv, access control, etc. They are available in various sizes. The one I used here is a 1.5Amp module by Enforcer, which is available in Australia from Altronics:

http://www.altronics.com.au/p/m8572-enfo...a-charger/

Another one we've used a few times is the NESS 3A module:

http://nesscorporation.com/ness-security...apter.html

For battery supply, I've used a 1.3AHr SLA battery, which is approx 97x50x42mm. Not much current draw so this setup should run for quite a while during a power outage.

Hope this helps...

Mark R
Some "calibration gear" for the rain gauge turned up this afternoon... Smile
Don't know yet if it will work, but worth a try...

{click photo to enlarge}
(24-04-2016, 09:44)Wizza Wrote: Some "calibration gear" for the rain gauge turned up this afternoon... Smile
Don't know yet if it will work, but worth a try...

{click photo to enlarge}

Good Idea!! Must ask my wife to get one at work!!