Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Looking for best Antenna model & your opinion on exotic designs

(15-04-2019, 15:39)edr1924 Wrote:  After reading for 2 days now on several fora and watching numerous video's, I came to the (obvious) conclusion that a very good antenna is key to the success of the WeatherDuino setup in my particular case because the temp/hum/rain station will be 20 meters away in the garden

Don't be too much worried with the TX antenna. Under normal circumstances 20 meters its a piece of cake for the transmitter used on our TX units.
Follow hornychz advice and start by trying one of those small 433Mhz antennas attached directly on the SMA connector of the TX board. Carefully plan the box to install the TX board inside, a big waterproof plastic box will give you more options.
More important may the the receiver placement.

(15-04-2019, 17:35)Werk_AG Wrote:  
(15-04-2019, 15:39)edr1924 Wrote:  After reading for 2 days now on several fora and watching numerous video's, I came to the (obvious) conclusion that a very good antenna is key to the success of the WeatherDuino setup in my particular case because the temp/hum/rain station will be 20 meters away in the garden

Don't be too much worried with the TX antenna. Under normal circumstances 20 meters its a piece of cake for the transmitter used on our TX units.
Follow hornychz advice and start by trying one of those small 433Mhz antennas attached directly on the SMA connector of the TX board. Carefully plan the box to install the TX board inside, a big waterproof plastic box will give you more options.
More important may the the receiver placement.

Thanks!  will see how it works out here...

(15-04-2019, 16:12)hornychz Wrote:  Hello,

This antenna is only suitable for vertical installation, which may be a problem as Werk_AG wrote yesterday in another thread
(TX on the roof and below it RX). On the other hand, it can be quite effective in field use. The basic problem: the datasheet
does not show the profit/loss of the entire assembly. And I'm afraid that the lineup will have a loss rather than a gain because
of the length of the cable. But without the manufacturer's data or measurements, it's just "divination from the ball". Positioning
upside down seems completely nonsensical - the antenna radiates minimally in its vertical axis. And the wire-simulated ground
should always be a ground not a ceiling.

But: I never used this antenna, so this information may not be guaranteed, it results from my experience. The antenna is very often
used to connect radio stations (HAM), eg in the 27 MHz, 134-174 MHz, 430-490 MHz band, ... But the transmission power used starts
at tens of W and ends at kW ...

Our recommendation for small antennas with a gain of 2 dBi with their correct polarization still applies (all antennas point in the same
direction, perpendicular to the plane interspersed with all transmitters and receivers).

Thank you for your input, learned a bit more!