Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Dark Sky_API

Werk,
Dark Sky have announced hey have Joined apple and they are no longer accepting new API signups as of today, and cease at the end of 2021.
Regards
Jim

Hi Jim,

One of the Test / Developers member informed me today too. Thanks.
Until the end of 2021, probably we already have changed to some other forecast provider which provide free API. OpenWeather is a possibility, but there are others.

We already saw a move like that when IBM bought Weather Wunderground. They also stoped provide free API keys for personal use, a few months later, they realise how wrong the decision was, and reverted it back, but it was too late. WU lost thousands of personal weather stations, and others started do send their data, at very long intervals, such was 30 minute or one hour, to break their intension to sell accurate local weather data, which mainly, were provided freely by the users who saw their personal API's key cancelled) .
In this case, seems DarkSky services will only be available to Apple world, a kind of world (highly priced devices, just because they have a brand behind) which probably will shrink significantly in a post covid-19 world.

Good morning to all, 
 Since I just built the wireless display box,in the meantime that Dark Sky no longer accepts new registrations, is it possible to use temporarily the code of someone who is already registered?Thank you

Since I heard the news about Dark Sky intention of no longer provide new registrations, I started to work on it. Soon, there will be a new software version for both the Pro2 Compact and and WiFi Wireless Display units which will use a new provider for the weather forecast, even better than Dark Sky.
Still early to give more info, but most probably it will be OpenWeather.