This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Anatomy of an extreme meteorological event...
An extreme meteorological event seen by the MeteoCercal weather station.
Today, 21/07/2020 between 15:45 and 16:45 - Portugal, West region.

Intense hail with the size of a ping pong ball and 25mm of rain in just a few minutes... climatic changes? Of course not, its just a new technique to refresh the grass, a few days ago we reached to 39ºC.
Pear production, one of the region's main agricultural crops, has suffered considerable damage.
MeteoCercal - Air Quality Data
Click here to watch at my ThingSpeak channel

Amazing + the numbers to show what actually happens during one of these events.

Growing tobacco in Malawi, hail was always a threat and when it did happen stripped the leaf and wrote the crop off.
An impressive spectacle !
Laurent

[Image: bannerfr.php]
Yes very impressive, and to see the dramatic changes reflected in the numbers was interesting.

Btw I wish it was in the 30s here in the UK. Definitely a chilly, cloudy, windy, wet July Wink

Ian
We had a hail storm come through of biblical proportions in late January (just after the bush fires) . Wrecked roofs and cars (mine included).

[Image: ddbbd83f-5249-4d58-8a3e-a5023169d104]

[Image: 16x9]

Image lifted from HERE
The event I witnessed two days ago, seems to have been very localized, in locations less than 10 km away, not a drop of rain has occurred, while in others, the amount of rain has even caused flooding of houses.

Big fires, big storms, big diseases. They tell us that is the new normal...