Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Receiver takes hours to boot up

Try to have the TX and RX in sight, a few meters away for example. The metal roof between the two might act as a shield..

also with no rain you can simulate by activating manually the sensor in your rain collector (open it and move the contact in front of the magnet).

(14-09-2016, 13:02)zitoune Wrote:  Try to have the TX and RX in sight, a few meters away for example. The metal roof between the two might act as a shield..

also with no rain you can simulate by activating manually the sensor in your rain collector (open it and move the contact in front of the magnet).

Werk,
I have found the issue; as I suspected the Tx module was faulty and I have temporarily put a old one I had with an incorrect pinout into service until new ones arrive. Had to do a bit of adaption but immediately it came to life.
When it first started the Rx led wasn't flashing and the "artificial rain" from a bottle of water didn't update. I re-orientated the Tx antenna to horizontal and the "rain" downloaded and the Rx led now flashes as expected.
Thanks for all your replies
Regsrds
Jim[attachment=755]

Good news Jim. I used to use a different Tx module as well on my TX, and adapted the pinout with very short pieces cute from E24 resistors. Usually you can solder at least one pin of the module to the PCB, let's say GND. For the rest (DATA, VCC, ANT), do not use long wires but rather very short ones.
Enjoy your station!

Quote: ...solder at least one pin of the module to the PCB, let's say GND

Important: Never solder the GND pin of the TX module to any other GND point than the one marked as GND on the TX module connector.
If you give a look at the schematics you will know why!

(15-09-2016, 21:04)Werk_AG Wrote:  
Quote: ...solder at least one pin of the module to the PCB, let's say GND

Important: Never solder the GND pin of the TX module to any other GND point than the one marked as GND on the TX module connector.
If you give a look at the schematics you will know why!

Indeed. I meant that instead of using 4 'soft' wires to connect the module to the PCB, use one original PIN (header PIN - any of the 4) to make a "hard" connexion and thus maintain in place the module to the PCB - in my case I chose the GND, but it could be any. The rest (3 pins) would be soldered with 'soft' wires.
[I'll take a pict]

And we know (or not?) why the 2 GND are different Smile

Thanks
Zitoune

My comment about where to connect the GND pin of the TX module was not properly a reply to you but more as a general info. I should have mentioned it, sorry for that Zitoune Blush.

So, and completing that general info: If by any reason we connect the GND pin of the TX module to any GND point of the TX board the TX module will be powered all the time and not only when we need to send data. The GND pin on the TX connector is at GND level (Low-side switching) only when the gate of transistor T1 is high , and is floating the rest of the time. The effect is something like the PTT in the Walkie-talkies.
Hope my poor english have not betrayed me, and what I wrote above makes sense.

(15-09-2016, 03:41)Barrow4491 Wrote:  Werk,
I have found the issue...

Good news Jim! You did exactly what I would do to try discover the problem. Improvising! Cool
However, as soon as you get the replacement of the faulty TX module, install it. That wire from the ANT output to the TX board, and then the cable to the Antenna, certainly will shorten the RF signal range.

Regards

(16-09-2016, 03:20)Werk_AG Wrote:  
(15-09-2016, 03:41)Barrow4491 Wrote:  Werk,
I have found the issue...

Good news Jim! You did exactly what I would do to try discover the problem. Improvising! Cool
However, as soon as you get the replacement of the faulty TX module, install it. That wire from the ANT output to the TX board, and then the cable to the Antenna, certainly will shorten the RF signal range.

Regards
Thanks Werk,
I have a header socket for the Tx module as they seem to be a weak link in what is a brilliant project and difficult to de-solder ( I have had three faulty ones)
My next thing is a web camera for weather underground and some additional wireless displays. Is it possible to drive a larger display in the WD with the current setup?
Regards
Jim

(16-09-2016, 02:40)Werk_AG Wrote:  My comment about where to connect the GND pin of the TX module was not properly a reply to you but more as a general info. I should have mentioned it, sorry for that Zitoune Blush.

No no, no problem of course Werk Smile

I have attached a picture - not that clear but we can see the "hard" connexions between the module to the PCB.

[Image: IMG_6067.JPG]

Zitoune,
Thanks for the photo, I understand what is going on. I have the later RX board v 3.12 which will fit directly the module you have (it is what I am waiting on) but my spare is the earlier one with the 3 pins and a different layout. As it is only a temporary situation I did not want to do any unnecessary extra soldering to the board.
Thanks again for your help,
Jim