Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Weather Cube - Mini Weather Station

Weather Cube - Mini Weather Station

This is a so simple project that just a few words are enough to describe it. Can be built and used by anyone, no matter have or not an WeatherDuino weather station.
No PCB required, all you need is a Wemos D1 Mini, a 1.3" OLED display, and four wires, and of course the firmware*, which you will find on the bottom of this topic.
We are also providing the STL files for 3D print the small box where all the parts will fit inside. No screws needed.

* The Weather Cube firmware use libraries and some code of the original work ThingPulse esp8266 weather station from Daniel Eichhorn.

What does the Weather Cube do?

It fetch current weather conditions plus a forecast for the next nine hours from OpenWeather.
For WeatherDuino users, besides the data fetched from OpenWeather, there is also the possibility to display some local data from your own weather station.
Additionally you can point any browser from a phone or PC to device IP Address and get a quick view of the current most relevant data.

How to make the connections?

Easier is difficult.

How to assemble?

Once you have the little box, everything nicely will fit in place. No screws needed.

How to have the small box?

Print it yourself or request it from an online 3D printing service.
You will find the required STL files on the bottom of this topic.

Enjoy it!

Weather Cube STL files
.rar WeatherCube_STLfiles.rar Size: 32,31 KB  Downloads: 106

Weather Cube Firmware v1.0_b006 - Release date: 2022-11-11
.rar WeatherCube_v1.0_b006_20221111.rar Size: 563,02 KB  Downloads: 67

IMPORTANT:
Always compile using the libraries provided on the software package.
Tested with Arduino IDE 1.8.19 and ESP8266 2.7.4 (may not work with other versions, older or newer).

This looks a great little idea. I shall have a go this weekend coming.

Glad to see different things all useful appearing.

Best Regards
Zdenek

[Image: banner.php]
My outdoor AQM-I: here

Thanks my friends.

Here is another one... this time with a white OLED display, think it goes better.

(05-04-2022, 01:29)Werk_AG Wrote:  Thanks my friends.

Here is another one... this time with a white OLED display, think it goes better.

Cool

Laurent

Made one Today Big Grin

Just a question, how do you change the wind speed to mph?

Also I had to change O (Oeste?) to W (West) in the Config Options. (const char* vaneDirectionsText)

(08-04-2022, 20:20)SR123 Wrote:  Made one Today Big Grin

Cool Wink Nice 3D print.

(08-04-2022, 20:20)SR123 Wrote:  Just a question, how do you change the wind speed to mph?

Code:
// --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// Define units
// --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
const boolean IS_METRIC = true;

Try change it to "false".

Currently the Weather Cube firmware doesn't have yet the fancy capability of allowing the user to freely chose the units for each kind of weather data (Temp, Wind, Rain etc), as happens with all the WeatherDuino systems.
So, if you chose "Metric true" all values will be shown using Metric units, by the contrary if you chose "Metric false" all values will be shown using Imperial units.

In a few days there will be new Weather Cube firmware with some changes on this matter:

Case 1 - If the user define that the unit will show data coming from their WeatherDuino receiver, then the units for each weather data will automatically follow the units selected by him on the receiver (exactly as currently happen on the WeatherDuino Weather Display units).

Case 2 - When the Weather Cube is used in stand alone mode, since all the data are gathered from OpenWeather, units will be in Metric or Imperial units, according to user selected option.

(08-04-2022, 20:20)SR123 Wrote:  Also I had to change O (Oeste?) to W (West) in the Config Options. (const char* vaneDirectionsText)

Yes, to keep the software simple, things like abbreviated day names or wind directions letters, are user editable for the desired language.

Great, I will wait for the new firmware (case 1) Smile

The enclosure is the first 3D print I have ever done! The printer (a Creality Ender 3 v2) got delivered at Lunchtime, assembled in the afternoon and printed that evening - I am really impressed with it. Big Grin

Steve

Hi Steve,

(09-04-2022, 09:54)SR123 Wrote:  Great, I will wait for the new firmware (case 1) Smile

You don't have to wait too much, just download v1.0_b005 which has been published a few minutes ago.

Let me know if it works as I think you need, which is having Metric units for Temperature (ºC) and Imperial for the Wind speed (mph).
If this is the way you have on the WeatherDuino receiver, then it should be the same way on the Weather Cube, unless I did something wrong. Smile

(09-04-2022, 09:54)SR123 Wrote:  The enclosure is the first 3D print I have ever done! The printer (a Creality Ender 3 v2) got delivered at Lunchtime, assembled in the afternoon and printed that evening - I am really impressed with it. Big Grin

Due to the rounded shape of the front and back panel, these parts aren't the easiest type of 3D objects to print, which makes me tell that you and your printer did a very good job, specially being the first print.
Congratulations.