Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Wind sensor alternatives to FineOffset. Any ideas?

======= Davis Vantage Pro, Part number 6410 ======
Pulse from cup anemometer = Black wire
Ground = Red wire
Wind direction signal = Green wire
+ 5V (Vcc) = Yellow wire

======= Didcot Instrument Company, model DWR205 ======
Pulse from cup anemometer = Black Wire
Ground = Red Wire
Wind direction signal = Green wire (1K ohm; 500 ohms South )
+ 5V (Vcc) = yellow

Not forgetting all Davis anemometers one click per revolution, and older 7911 had no 47 ohm resistors either side of the reed switch.

Cool
JT118, thank you.

After two weeks of tests, from now on, wind data on my weather pages are from the Inspeed Instruments.
When I have the time I will post some pictures of the installation. The good news is they (and some others) can be used with TX v2.50 boards with a very small modification. Just the software will be different.

Do you think your see a difference? Have a look at the report I linked to in;

Davis VP2 Station - An Independent Review Against Standard Instruments

http://www.weatherstations.co.uk/special_reports.htm

It would be good to compare your Inspeed to the FO sensors.

I am going to try to get the weatherduino / didcot / texas instruments to read on my website on a separate page then one can compare reading to my Davis Groweather "live" as they happen.

My electronics boards TX, RX and WD etc all working and hooked up to instruments; I need to put it all into waterproof housing now and find some poles to put it all outside.

Then build into my www.ayrshireweather.org website. Having difficulty in getting RX to talk to "Weather Display". It downloads 5 or six data sets and then freezes.

(11-07-2015, 20:32)JT118 Wrote:  Do you think your see a difference? Have a look at the report I linked to in;

I had the two systems working simultaneously, installed in the same pole, for the last three weeks.

I did not do an accurate study of collected data in these three weeks (I'm not very good at doing that), but visually comparing the graphs obtained from both, they are very similar, however the wind speed values (mean and gust) obtained with the Inspeed Instruments are always lower than those obtained with the FO anemometer, but the time (hour and minute) at which Cumulus records peak values (gust) from each one, are equal in both.
The difference on the average speed reads, is not very large, always around 3-4 km/h less for the Inspeed anemometer.

Regarding the Inspeed vane, it's much more stable than the FO, producing graphs with less erratic points. It easily grabs data from any wind direction.
When I tested it at my workbench, I easily managed to read values from 0º to 360º almost in 1 degree steps (the Inspeed vane don't have any dead band).

Here is a pic of my Inspeed wind instruments installation. All the cables run inside the pipes.

[Image: My_Inspeed_Instruments_rdm.jpg]

(17-07-2015, 20:46)Werk_AG Wrote:  
(11-07-2015, 20:32)JT118 Wrote:  Do you think your see a difference? Have a look at the report I linked to in;

I had the two systems working simultaneously, installed in the same pole, for the last three weeks.

I did not do an accurate study of collected data in these three weeks (I'm not very good at doing that), but visually comparing the graphs obtained from both, they are very similar, however the wind speed values (mean and gust) obtained with the Inspeed Instruments are always lower than those obtained with the FO anemometer, but the time (hour and minute) at which Cumulus records peak values (gust) from each one, are equal in both.
The difference on the average speed reads, is not very large, always around 3-4 km/h less for the Inspeed anemometer.

Regarding the Inspeed vane, it's much more stable than the FO, producing graphs with less erratic points. It easily grabs data from any wind direction.
When I tested it at my workbench, I easily managed to read values from 0º to 360º almost in 1 degree steps (the Inspeed vane don't have any dead band).

Here is a pic of my Inspeed wind instruments installation. All the cables run inside the pipes.

Interesting; I should have a pole and put the whole setup outside when I get back from holiday. Send me the data sets and we'll run a few stats tests and graphs if you would like.

(17-07-2015, 20:46)Werk_AG Wrote:  I did not do an accurate study of collected data in these three weeks (I'm not very good at doing that)

Can you export to let's say Excel those data? then it would be easy to plot the differences with on bar graph?

(17-07-2015, 20:46)Werk_AG Wrote:  Here is a pic of my Inspeed wind instruments installation. All the cables run inside the pipes.

I like the pipes you have used to build the structure - very clever Smile

(18-07-2015, 03:10)zitoune Wrote:  I like the pipes you have used to build the structure - very clever Smile

The idea of the pipes is not mine, is from Gary, the guy who have designed the electronics of the sensors. I bought the pipes from him together with the sensors.
I could have painted the pipes with a black ink, maybe I will do it later!

Quote:Can you export to let's say Excel those data? then it would be easy to plot the differences with on bar graph?

Unfortunately I frequently delete the data from my test systems, and I don't have the full 3 weeks of data, but I have two Cumulus logs, from 00:00 July 12 to 16:00 July 17 of both systems.
One of the logs is done at 5 minutes intervals, and the other at 10 minutes intervals, but this should not be a problem.

Attached Files
.rar 12Jul15_17Jul15_FO_log.rar Size: 18,54 KB  Downloads: 139
.rar 12Jul15_17Jul15_Inspeed_log.rar Size: 35,93 KB  Downloads: 138

Hi,

I have put your Data onto an excel sheet and removed the 5 minute lines so that we have a comparable data set. There are two tabs one for the Inspeed data and one for the FO data.

I expect the headings I have put in: "High Gust" and "Bearing of High Gust" are wrong, temperature perhaps?

Perhaps you could enter the correct headings into the sheet on line 1; as I am not sure which columns have wind speed and direction. If you can do this, save as a different file and re-post the sheet we can then graph one against the other.

.xlsx FO VS INSPEED.xlsx Size: 230,96 KB  Downloads: 169

Hi,

Here is the sheet with the correct headings.
Thank you

Attached Files
.xlsx FO VS INSPEED_1.xlsx Size: 230,61 KB  Downloads: 149