Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Wind sensor alternatives to FineOffset. Any ideas?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NRG-40C-Anemom...1c53da547f

Seems very good value compared to new price. Still plenty for sale on eBay for £20.00. (New £200.00 ) just type in NRG 40c in search.

https://www.renewablenrgsystems.com/prod...nemometers

http://www.emltd.net/products/wind

(31-05-2015, 19:56)Werk_AG Wrote:  We will gonna add support for the VORTEX 8-Pulse High Resolution Anemometer, and Inspeed E-VANE2 Electronic Wind Direction Sensor, in to the WeatherDuino Pro 2 system.

Great to hear. Does seem the best direction.

I guess I better start behaving like a good boy and see if I can have a couple of those delivered in my shoe...

Just for interest, some detail of the NRG 40C anemometer I got off ebay. It came with a calibration certificate albeit from 2009.

.pdf NRG-40C-Anemometer-data-sheet.pdf Size: 117,95 KB  Downloads: 251

Also link for Davis Anemometer how to repair and workings.

http://www.lexingtonwx.com/anemometer/

My Inspeed sensors arrived yesterday!
They looks even better than I had thought.

Something tells me that I will be very busy in the next weeks. For anything urgent, I will be in the roof! Smile

I'm not in the roof, yet!
I'm just sitting at my workbench, watching the Inspeed sensors, working like a charm.
The wind vane is impressive, this beast is able to do readings at 1 degree steps.
The Vortex 8, is another beast... if I breathe a little more strong, it starts moving. The sapphire/tungsten carbide bearing system is really super low friction.

Adding support for this instruments to the WeatherDuino Pro 2 system will be even more easy than I initially thought.

(27-06-2015, 06:46)Werk_AG Wrote:  Adding support for this instruments to the WeatherDuino Pro 2 system will be even more easy than I initially thought.

That is really great news! Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

I know you and others have tried to improve the accuracy of FO sensors but personally I had decided to use better and more accurate alternatives and Inspeed are top of my list. Smile

I think this news will make me hurry now to complete the boards which I have neglected for far too long.....AngryAngry

Allan.

Since long time I wanted to include support for at least one kind of high quality wind sensors. The Inspeed instruments attracted my attention because they are quality devices and the way they work, seemed to me compatible with the WeatherDuino Pro 2 hardware without requiring too much modifications, except on the software side.

Maybe I should say this: Despite I'm making some publicity to Inspeed, I bought the sensors by the same price that everyone else can buy, without a cent of discount.
I bought them directly from Gary Stofer, the guy who designed the electronics for the sensors. A very nice person, with good comunication.

Quote:I think this news will make me hurry now to complete the boards which I have neglected for far too long...

So, it's time to give you a hint: Don't install the variable resistor (R8) on the TX board (v2.50). For use with the Inspeed wind vane, it is not required and should not be installed. The wind vane calibration is done by the software.

A small adapter like the one below, may be useful, but not absolutely required.

Note: This is a prototype design, not final.

Inspeed have several kinds of wind vanes and wind speed sensors, I'm adding support just for these top models:

- VORTEX 8-Pulse Digital High Resolution Anemometer
- E-VANE2 Electronic Wind Direction Sensor

Others may also work, but I can't guarantee.

If it is to be done, so let's done it in one time!

In addition to the Inspeed models already confirmed in the previous topic, the next version of WeatherDuino Pro2 software, will include experimental support for these wind instruments:

Inspeed :
Vortex - Reed switch anemometer
Vortex II - Hall Effect anemometer

[Image: Vane%20and%20WS%20med_ds.jpg]

Davis:
Anemometer and Vane, model 6410

[Image: 6410.jpg]

NovaLynx:
Anemometer and Vane, model 200-WS-02F

[Image: 200-ws-02-333x279.jpg]

As each brand has diferrent ouput pinouts, a small adapter may be required to connect these instruments with the WeatherDuino Pro2 TX unit.

Regarding Rain Gauges, virtually any tipping bucket rain gauge will be supported.

Shortly, will be created a new topic with a complete list of all supported weather instruments by the WeatherDuino pro2 system.

Good Stuff; you will soon have a machine which could be applied at many different levels, and at all sorts of costs. Whilst I don't want to build up competition on ebay there are some very serious sensors come up for sale occasionally. The super flexibility that you are building into Weatherduino means that these can be hooked up at very small cost. Something that would be virtually impossible with the proprietary brands which only accept their own brands of sensor.

While I think about it are you able to make the potentiometer reading flexible? ie Davis is 20Kohm, http://www.qsl.net/on7eq/projects/arduino_davis.htm . I have the Didcot wind vane which has a 1Kohm super low friction potentiometer fitted.    
.pdf e_LNB22.pdf Size: 61,04 KB  Downloads: 346

I am currently trying to build up courage to solder the memory chip onto the RX board you sold me!

Quote:...you will soon have a machine which could be applied at many different levels, and at all sorts of costs.

This is the main intention! A weather station that can be built according to the needs and budget of each one.
A secondary intention, is create a system that can be used for other purposes than just observation of meteorological conditions, as agriculture (in general, or in specific cultures).

Quote:Whilst I don't want to build up competition on ebay there are some very serious sensors come up for sale occasionally

Which is the case of the one you bought, the NRG-40C. A great quality sensor, unfortunately it's output it's low level AC sine wave, that cannot be read directly by the WeatherDuino Pro2 TX unit.
Anyway, I think that with the help of a simple Schmitt trigger circuit, to convert the sine wave frquency to a pulse with the same frequency, the NRG-40C could eventually be used with the WeatherDuino Pro2 system.

Quote:While I think about it can you make the potentiometer reading flexible ie Davis is 20Kohm, http://www.qsl.net/on7eq/projects/arduino_davis.htm . I have the Didcot wind vane which has a 1Kohm super low friction potentiometer fitted.

Do you have specs of the Didcot wind vane?