Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Soil Moisture and Temperature sensors installation.

I committed an error when I replied to a Tester/Developer... the link was removed.

Hello,

Sorry for my question, I am not certain result of my research on the forum.
Does a probe of t° DS18B20 have to work with the interface Soil Moisture/Leaf Wetness, or can it be connected directly on a TX?

It is for the measurement of the t° of water.
My small children always ask the same question: "is the swimming pool good papy?" Smile

Thank you and good Sunday.

(13-08-2017, 06:39)tobyportugal Wrote:  Hello,

Sorry for my question, I am not certain result of my research on the forum.
Does a probe of t° DS18B20 have to work with the interface Soil Moisture/Leaf Wetness, or can it be connected directly on a TX?

You are right, the DS18B20 (1-wire) sensor only work with the Soil/Leaf Interface.

(13-08-2017, 06:39)tobyportugal Wrote:  It is for the measurement of the t° of water.
My small children always ask the same question: "is the swimming pool good papy?" Smile

Smile The WeatherDuino system have some less know possibilities, that we can use to do some interesting things...
I have a pond with some fishes, I always had curiosity about the water temperature during the winter, to know if I should give them some warm clothes...

Of course I have a Soil/Leaf interface installed with some sensors, mainly for testing purpose, but what I'm using to measure the water temperature of the pond, is thing completely different.

I'm using a cheap commercial device, which is intended to be used as a soil moisture sensor, the device, as a soil moisture device, its a complete crap, but happens that it have a thermistor as a temperature sensors, and also an 433 Mhz RF transmitter which transmits in a protocol which the WeatherDuino can decode. So I changed the internal thermistor of the device (thank you JT118 by the idea), by a similar waterproof thermistor, and I'm using it as an Extra sensor.

See here;

http://www.meteocercal.info/forum/Thread...light=bios

and here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-Tem...SwKtlWnkW8

but as you can see from the discussion the Soil Moisture is useless, but once you have sorted out the dodgy soldering, the temperature works well. No good for Weatherduino but OK for reading if your fish (or children) are about to freeze! Works for ages with a few AAA 1.5v batteries.