Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Printed circuit boards

I was reading online and learning about what PCBs are and the different types that are out there. Does anyone know in what specific application you would use a single-layer PCB vs. a multilayer PCB?

(07-04-2021, 17:00)DavidWard Wrote:  I was reading online and learning about what PCBs are and the different types that are out there. Does anyone know in what specific application you would use a single-layer PCB vs. a multilayer PCB?
Hi,

Single-sided boards are usually used for low-cost manufacturing or "hobby" applications.  In the past, hobbyists would literally "paint" the tracks (or use a fibre-tipped pen) directly onto the PCB and then etch the unwanted copper away.  No problems with aligning two sides before the holes are drilled.  Wink

Double-sided boards greatly assist "Auto-Routing" software, for example predominantly X-direction tracks on one side, Y-direction on the other side, or sometimes an "Earth Plane" on one side for Very High Frequency or High Current applications.  Modern PCBs usually have Plated Through Holes, which attach the components more reliably and give the possibility of "Vias" to connect tracks on opposite sides (other than at a "through hole" component lead).

Multi-Layer Boards (usually assumed to be 4 or more copper layers in a "sandwich" style) are used for compact and/or computer/digital applications, where there may be many (hundreds) of connections.  Not recommended if a PCB may need to be "modified" or even repaired.

Cheers,  Alan.

(08-04-2021, 11:00)AllyCat Wrote:  
(07-04-2021, 17:00)DavidWard Wrote:  I was reading online and learning about what PCBs are and the different types that are out there. Does anyone know in what specific application you would use a single-layer PCB vs. a multilayer PCB?
Hi,

Single-sided boards are usually used for low-cost manufacturing or "hobby" applications.  In the past, hobbyists would literally "paint" the tracks (or use a fibre-tipped pen) directly onto the PCB and then etch the unwanted copper away.  No problems with aligning two sides before the holes are drilled.  Wink

Double-sided boards greatly assist "Auto-Routing" software, for example predominantly X-direction tracks on one side, Y-direction on the other side, or sometimes an "Earth Plane" on one side for Very High Frequency or High Current applications.  Modern PCBs usually have Plated Through Holes, which attach the components more reliably and give the possibility of "Vias" to connect tracks on opposite sides (other than at a "through hole" component lead).

Multi-Layer Boards (usually assumed to be 4 or more copper layers in a "sandwich" style) are used for compact and/or computer/digital applications, where there may be many (hundreds) of connections.  Not recommended if a PCB may need to be "modified" or even repaired.

Cheers,  Alan.

Thanks Alan for the nice explanation. when you assemble a PCB and solder the components on the board. What do you use? A regular solder gun or is it something more specific?

May I know, where you were reading. I mean on wikipedia or any other place. Are you working on something?

(08-04-2021, 17:59)Camerongreen Wrote:  

May I know, where you were reading. I mean on wikipedia or any other place. Are you working on something?

Thanks for the reply. I already spent some time on wikipedia here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printed_circuit_board and the other one I recently visited is https://www.derf.com/printed-circuit-boa...planation/. Yes, I'm working on designing a PCB.