Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

UV Index window material and incidence angle

Not even got my TX board or receiver yet, but thinking about UV index and a UVM-30A sensor.  It seems obvious to me that a JGS1/JGS2 fused silica window should be the material of choice, but I was wondering about what 3D angle of incoming light needs to be met for reasonable accurate results ie. how close does the sensor need to be to the window?  What designs of enclosure have people come up with to measure UV index?

Regards,

Ian

Edit: I'm sure that there are full specifications somewhere about how to make this measurement, and with this particular sensor. I just haven't found them.

(30-06-2020, 23:20)chsims1 Wrote:  ... but I was wondering about what 3D angle of incoming light needs to be met for reasonable accurate results ie. how close does the sensor need to be to the window? 

Hello Ian,

Welcome to the forum.

From past experiences, I believe the sensors should be placed the closer to the top surface (JGS1/JGS2 fused silica is good) as possible.
Sun radiation sensors as UV sensors, should be installed in horizontal position (some precision is required), facing the sky, not facing the sun. If you want to know why, please search on Google, or on the forum, I'm sure there are some topics about this matter.

Physical construction of the sensor, its the challenging part, as it relays on each one ability to build things. Once again, there are some topics on the forum which include pictures of some assemblies done by the users.

Rgs.