Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Snow height measurement system

Finally it is time to introduce the snow height measurement system officially.

[Image: y4mqclvy7n9NyYGl5Dzye9D1I3-lrus20eTyB7Mf...pmode=none]

Features:
  • Automatically measures snow height with a laser range meter
  • Emulates a HTU temperature sensor to transmit snow height as humidity value
  • Snow height can be mapped on the RX station to an extra humidity to get it to any weather software

Supported devices:
  • HIREED Laser ranging device with rs232 interface
    (can be bought on AliExpress or Ebay)
  • HOLO Laser ranging device
    (can be bought as bundle including the PCB)

[Image: y4mub-voTG0uPuU4vyMWwdcbwhSAUrp8HleqOmDr...pmode=none] [Image: y4myiXVHwn6NQlTnX5vTPZ_0aqN_Keh_fmJSqJyR...pmode=none]

Where to buy the hardware:

Snow height measurement v4.1 HASL free double layered PCB
Board size: 50mm x 50mm
PCB supplied as pictured below: 13,50€ - Available immediately

[Image: y4mqO2Xu85BQS-clsyGiUOzh4oLt9X7SyKBxS2lQ...pmode=none]

Bundle option:
PCB + HOLO NS-20 LASER ranging device: 43,50€ - Available immediately

If you want to buy a module just write a PM.

Worldwide Shipping with tracking number: 7,30€
Combined shipping is used if possible.

Accepted Payment Methods: PayPal and bank transfer for European customers

How to use:
Find the the manual in the attachment.

Software and installation manual is available via GitHub: 
https://github.com/menachers/WeatherDuino

schematics v4.2 are available in attachment.

Attached Files
.zip Snow_Schematic_v4.1.zip Size: 61,73 KB  Downloads: 226
Thumbs Up 

Good job! Congratulations!  Smile

Best Regards
Zdenek

[Image: banner.php]
My outdoor AQM-I: here

Update: Buying information and first draft of the manual added in the first post.

Any feedback positive as well as negative concerning project, software and manual is warmly welcomed.

Best regards,
engolling

Updated to software version 4.1:

Improved error handling, when LASER device does not answer
Corrected the software license information

Updated manual to version 1.3:
Added information for tuning the software

Hello,

Today I've got a possibilty to download the presentation "Technology Comparison: Snow Depth Detection"
from Luft, Meteorology Division of OTT HydroMet.

URL is https://www.lufft.com/snow-depth-measure...hitepaper/
you can download it after complete the questionnaire.

Manual is only "Insight for Experts", I do not distort the copyright, I only publish their conclusions:

It is clear from this that the method of measurement chosen and developed by engolling is the correct one.  Heart

Best Regards
Zdenek

[Image: banner.php]
My outdoor AQM-I: here

Hello Zdenek,

thank you for your answer. Very interesting paper and very interesting that I made similar experiences in the last years.

For tonight some snow is announced, so im looking forward to check what the sensor will read tomorrow.

Best regards,
engolling

Tuesday the snow height measurement registered the first bit of snow for this season  Smile .

See the temperature, the total counts of the tipping bucket and the snow height in the diagramm.
Everything still seems to work properly.

[Image: y4m86R0eubgNR14ZqRamGDAHncaSdzU-y2_X5Ppf...pmode=none]

Best regards,
engolling

(09-11-2018, 22:42)engolling Wrote:  "Finally it is time to introduce the snow height measurement system officially."

Congrats on some hard thinking and a very workable solution to the problem!

Have you looked at the new generation of laser distance measuring devices with BlueTooth 4.0 and smartphone apps? The Bluetooth connection would eliminate the need to open/modify the measuring device and the on board smarts can probably do the math returning just the actual snow height in response to an inquiry. Power can be supplied by building dummy batteries from plastic tubing with leads to the outside supply. The devices range in price from $30 to $260 USD on Amazon.The big question is if the manufacturer will willingly give up the Bluetooth command set or if sniffing would be required. Probably the Chinese manufacturer's would be most willing to do it if one can breech the language divide.

My only concern with using any of the laser measuring devices is they seem to be rated for use above 0 degrees Celsius... What happens below zero?

Here is an Amazon search result:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_...DH4Q990CCG

Regards,
George

(23-12-2018, 18:55)wizardgmb Wrote:  
(09-11-2018, 22:42)engolling Wrote:  "Finally it is time to introduce the snow height measurement system officially."

Congrats on some hard thinking and a very workable solution to the problem!

Have you looked at the new generation of laser distance measuring devices with BlueTooth 4.0 and smartphone apps? The Bluetooth connection would eliminate the need to open/modify the measuring device and the on board smarts can probably do the math returning just the actual snow height in response to an inquiry. Power can be supplied by building dummy batteries from plastic tubing with leads to the outside supply. The devices range in price from $30 to $260 USD on Amazon.The big question is if the manufacturer will willingly give up the Bluetooth command set or if sniffing would be required. Probably the Chinese manufacturer's would be most willing to do it if one can breech the language divide.

My only concern with using any of the laser measuring devices is they seem to be rated for use above 0 degrees Celsius... What happens below zero?

Here is an Amazon search result:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_...DH4Q990CCG

Regards,
George

Hello wizardgmb,

thanks for sharing your thoughts.
On one hand a wireless transmission is a charming system, on the other hand it raises some new problems.
First thing is the receiving microcontroller needs a Bluetooth module, then you need the commands (which might be not a big deal).
Second, new challenges rise after a power loss (or automatic turn off) - how start and reconnect the system again and so on.
This means you will probably need some wires and modification again to emulate the "power button".

So that are my main concerns, I do not think you might get a problem with low temperatures.

Regards,
engolling