Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tx battery powered

(14-11-2018, 22:39)mrazoun Wrote:  From technical point of view :
- with arduino mini pro it's possible to get mikro Amps quiscent current after easy changes. The firmware in Tx unit is short, not to often to download new one - can be done via FTDI adapter.
- RF via RFM69HW ?
- And what about idea to do in Tx unit sensor measurement and also some data aquisition and lower the transmit rate by this way ?

Hi mrazou,

Sorry to say, but what you are proposing imply almost a completely new system... new TX, new software on TX and RX, months of testing, etc, etc, and most important, it will break compatibility with oldest systems.

(14-11-2018, 23:01)engolling Wrote:  Since you have to design another TX board ...

Who is gonna design a new TX board?  Huh  I haven't any plans to do it.

(14-11-2018, 23:35)Werk_AG Wrote:  
(14-11-2018, 23:01)engolling Wrote:  Since you have to design another TX board ...

Who is gonna design a new TX board?  Huh  I haven't any plans to do it.

I did not expect you designing a new TX board.  Wink  I just wanted to say that a new PCB has to be made to realize mrazoun's ideas.
I know exactly how long it took to get reasonable results measuring the snow height Smile

As I already told, i first have to bring my system outside and the next project will be a foto webcam.

Best regards,
engolling

Hi all,

a bit of history .... 2008 FO weather station worked immaculately (nearly) for 10 years logged by pywws. Didn't need to do a thing other than present the data on my website as I like ..bliss  I've recently replaced the station by a 3080 clone and I'm suddenly plagued by problems of console USB lockups, missing outdoor sensor data etc. So, this looks a very attractive prospect as a reliable alternative.  What I want now is someone to explain to me why I need such a thirsty transmitter unit less than 4m away from a receiver.  I don't want to be adding a substantial battery or wired power connection for the transmitter .. I am used to two AA batteries doing their job for a year.  I'm not criticising in any way, just wondering why my needs seem to be so different from other users on the forum?

Hello btw,

Ian

Edit: didn't mean to hijack thread, but this seemed a good jumping off point

Hi,

Welcome to the WeatherDuino forum.

(30-12-2018, 21:05)chsims1 Wrote:  I am used to two AA batteries doing their job for a year.  I'm not criticising in any way, just wondering why my needs seem to be so different from other users on the forum?

Among other aspects, the WeatherDuino is based on Arduinos, which aren't suited to be powered by AA batteries, at least continuously. TX consumption is around 120mA.
In your case (TX 4 meters away from receiver) I believe that will not be difficult to power it from an 12V wall adapter.

Indeed you are correct, but it is a bit of a inconvenience to set up outside power supplies. I guess I need to turn my thoughts to alternative low power solutions .. thanks for your input, and good luck with the project.

Ian

(30-12-2018, 22:19)chsims1 Wrote:  Indeed you are correct, but it is a bit of a inconvenience to set up outside power supplies. I guess I need to turn my thoughts to alternative low power solutions .. thanks for your input, and good luck with the project.

Ian

Hi Ian,
You possibly wouldn't need outside power supplies. My TX unit is powered by a plug pack (aka wall wart Wink ) from inside my garage and has the 12vdc then run out to the transmitter.

EDIT: I just remembered that a bloke reckoned he'd fixed his WH-3080 by soldering in a pullup resistor.
https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic....2&p=132525
Looks like a very easy fix.

Please come back and let us know what you do.
Cheers UB

Hi,

Yes, sadly it appears that Fine Offset applied an aggressive "Cost Reduction" exercise, combined with some incompetent software re-design.  The well-known "USB lockups" appear to be associated with all of the more recent (OOK since c2012) USB versions.

The "problem" with the Arduino is not just the off-the-shelf hardware (bright LEDs hard-wired across the power supply rails, etc.) but the Operating System (Environment) which uses a 16 MHz clock (hence 5 volt supply rail) to support the High Level Language (C++) with fast interrupts, etc. and no "sleep" mode.

I refer you back to my post #5 in this thread, but must emphasis again that it's only a long-term project.  One of the key aspects is starting with the "Auriol" wireless protocol which is intrinsically a "low power" transmission protocol.  The Weatherduino project grew from the "Auriolduino" project, which is still supported by the present receivers.

I will also just add that I have modified my own Weatherduino Transmitter(s) to be broadly "compatible" with the FO transmitter hardware, and using only a low power 5 volt USB supply ("wall wart").  I plan to post some details in due course, but it's still not really suitable for economical solar-powering in UK.

Cheers,  Alan.

(30-12-2018, 21:05)chsims1 Wrote:  I've recently replaced the station by a 3080 clone and I'm suddenly plagued by problems of console USB lockups, missing outdoor sensor data etc.

Hi Ian,

I'm Uncle_Bob's 'bloke'. If I can help, I've spent many hours fighting the FO system, from sensor through to ISP, but now seem to have got it tamed.

In my darkest hour, UB did suggest that I considered the WeatherDuino solution and, had I not just discovered the solution to my FO radio problems, I would have gone to this - recognising the same issues as you've raised with the power supply to the mast unit....

However, I'm still on FO with Cumulus software... If I can help, please PM me.

Happy New Year,
John