WeatherDuino Forum

Full Version: Outside Temp/Humidity Sensor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ever since I first started up my WeatherDuino system I've had bad luck with failing temp/humid sensors.

I've been using the SHT31D sensors.
They only last a few months before failing, with the suspicion being that the break out board starts to corrode which leads to the failure.

2 years ago I started putting the sensor in a plastic enclosure for a bit more protection, it helped. But still the sensors failed.

Last year I got some Closed Cube versions with the screen/filter protection. I also sprayed the break out PCB after the cable has been soldered with clear lacquer for protection from corrosion (covered the sensor sensing hole before applying the clear lacquer).
The last sensor lasted a year before failing again. No apparent water or corrosion damage that I could see.

What is the reliability like for other members?
What do you do or how do you protect the sensors?

Some pictures for reference of the installation of the last failed sensor.
[attachment=1925]
[attachment=1926]
Hi Mike,

where did you connect your sensor on the TX Board? On the standard I²C or on the other one with the extender IC mounted?

The port with the extender IC is only suitable for sensors that have an integrated level shifter. It might bring other sensors to fail because of overcurrent on the data and clock bus line.

Regards,
engolling
(30-07-2019, 20:45)engolling Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Mike,

where did you connect your sensor on the TX Board? On the standard I²C or on the other one with the extender IC mounted?

The port with the extender IC is only suitable for sensors that have an integrated level shifter. It might bring other sensors to fail because of overcurrent on the data and clock bus line.

Regards,
engolling

engolling,

Now that you mention it, I did connect the last sensor to the extender I²C bus as I have had issues with the TX board freezing up and not initializing when the sensor is connected to the normal I²C bus.

What I've never understood is why the sensors would work on the extender I²C bus and not on the standard I²C bus.
Both buses are connected to the same Arduino pins.

The new sensor is connected to the standard I²C bus and working fine so far.

Maybe I should look at replacing the Arduino at some stage.
Looking the actual sensor installation, does anyone have suggestions that have worked for them to improve my installation?
(31-07-2019, 07:53)MikeM Wrote: [ -> ]Looking the actual sensor installation, does anyone have suggestions that have worked for them to improve my installation?

In my opinion there is not much to improove on the mechanical setup. The Arduino freezes when the attached sensors is somehow defective. This happenes when the bus line does not reach the expected voltage level, then the wire library gets stuck.

When not using the I2C line without the extender IC you should take care of the cable length.
How long is your cabeling from the TX board to the sensor?

engolling
(31-07-2019, 08:35)engolling Wrote: [ -> ]How long is your cabling from the TX board to the sensor?

The cable only about 300mm long.
I have just had to replace my 31 sensor as well...lasted maybe 6 months and it replaced the original Davis one. Interesting about the level on the BUS. And my nano locked up as well in the TX unit when it failed.

I am trying to find a good housing for the ambient temp other than a Davis also a raingauge...any other reasonably priced setups that are easily obtained would be good. I am using Inspeed wind and direction sensors and they have worked a treat so far

Mark
Hello Mark,

Maybe my tips:
This year I bought a new radiation shield from RIKA:

[Image: IMG_20190502_142904-upr-sm.jpg]

It is RK95-08, the price include express shipping was about USD $118.

And the last year I bought 

[Image: DSC_8579-upr-sm.jpg]

It is RK400-01, the price was USD $281...

(The both items are perfect.)
The guy I got my speed and direction sensor off also has links for other stuff to buy for his system

I am going to order another set of direction and speed sensors from him on the weekend

Pretty reasonable pricing from these sellers below for the shield and rain gauge

https://www.ambientweather.com/amwesrpatean.html

​​​​​​https://www.rainwise.com/products/detail.php?ID=6697