Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

WD problems

Werk,
Both units led flash together at about three to four second intervals and in a five minute period the problem unit only missed about three flashes. I have removed both antennas, swapped both and replaced both to no avail.
Could you give me a timescale and order how often the data is updated by the RX unit
I also ran my older Pro2 receiver in lieu of the Pro2+ with no change.
When I replaced the radio module I ran it in my receiver unit for a couple of days and it seemed not to miss a beat. I have no idea except if you can sometime do the RX efficiency thing in the software that may confirm  the issue before I go to the trouble of swapping the module again.
Regards
Jim

(14-06-2017, 03:41)Barrow4491 Wrote:  Hi,
I have built a couple of WD's in the last year and recently one of them has occasionally displays the "red screen", re not receiving data, and I assumed it was a reception issue. To prove this I moved it to the same location as the other unit, but it still had the same issue, and I decided to change the Rx module.

(18-06-2017, 04:09)Barrow4491 Wrote:  Werk,
Both units led flash together at about three to four second intervals and in a five minute period the problem unit only missed about three flashes. I have removed both antennas, swapped both and replaced both to no avail.
Could you give me a timescale and order how often the data is updated by the RX unit

If the led on both units is flashing at that frequency, surely you don't get the "red screen" in any of them.

The RX unit broadcast data to all WD units every time if receives any data packet from sensors (temp/hum, wind, etc). Seeing the leds flash at each 3 to 4 seconds is a good sign, as it means that both units are receiving the most frequent data packets (wind data) from the RX (which by turn should receive them at each 3 seconds).

So, what is really happen? One of them never display some type of data (temp /hum, solar rad, ATM, etc)? Do you frequently see the three dashes at one or more of the data fields?

Take in account that two or more WD units side by side may not all show exactly the same data at a given moment, specially regarding the wind gust. This could happen, because there isn't any sync between each unit. Data on the TFT is updated at each 5 seconds, which likely will be at a different momment for each unit, also one unit may have not received a data packet, per example because at the moment the data packet is broadcasted by the RX, the WD UNIT as busy doing something like updating the screen.

As an example, if an unit loses a Temp/ Hum data packet it may take a minute or more until it gets the next data packet with temp / hum info.
For each type of data, if passes more than 5 minutes without receiving a specific data packet, the three dashes are shown in the field corresponding to the type of data. This works the same way both for the WD as to the RX .

Werk,
As I said in my first post since I changed the radio module I have not noticed the red screen and can confirm that again. All the other data is good with the exception of the outside Tx /Rh and the Tx / RX data at the receiver location on the system info screen
Regards
PS
With regards to the system info screen data, the fields actually exist but are always zero.
Jim

And those values are never received?
What a mystery...  Huh

(18-06-2017, 07:08)Werk_AG Wrote:  And those values are never received?
What a mystery...  Huh

No always at zero or just the thre dashes

Honestly I don't see any logical reason for this to happen. The "problematic" unit is able to receive all types of data packets except the ones with Temperature / Humidity data, which are even sent more frequently than others that it is processing without problem.

Have you tried to play around with the location, of the "problematic" unit?
You can also try to remove the antenna, and in place of it try to use a tiny wire of around 17cm. Start with a 17cm wire and progressively make it shorter, 0.2cm at a time. Always monitor the blink rate of the led.

(19-06-2017, 03:38)Werk_AG Wrote:  Honestly I don't see any logical reason for this to happen. The "problematic" unit is able to receive all types of data packets except the ones with Temperature / Humidity data, which are even sent more frequently than others that it is processing without problem.

Have you tried to play around with the location, of the "problematic" unit?
You can also try to remove the antenna, and in place of it try to use a tiny wire of around 17cm. Start with a 17cm wire and progressively make it shorter, 0.2cm at a  time. Always monitor the blink rate of the led.
Werk,
When I get a bit of spare time I will do as you suggest in more detail regarding antenna length; currently I have been trying several locations with the same result.
I am at a loss to work out what it may be but assume it is hardware related, maybe the recieve unit may be somehow marginal.
Regards
Jim

Jim,

The reported issue is so intriguing that is deserves some investigation.
Why one unit receives all types of data packets from a receiver except one?
This seems to exclude an hardware problem. But it also can't be a software problem, considering that the other WD unit, running exactly the same software version is working properly.
There are some procedures which can be done to try to discover what is really happen. Let me know when you will have some free time to spend with it.