This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
UV Sensor ...
I'm definitely committing myself to building one of these weather station systems and have been reading my way through the available info.
I understand that the Fine Offset sensors are suitable for use within the setup ... but, is the UV sensor that is incorporated into the Fine Offset WS3083 suitable for use within the WeatherDuino system as I have a couple of spare units floating around in the cupboard ???

Thanks
(12-07-2019, 21:43)jeffd2651 Wrote: I'm definitely committing myself to building one of these weather station systems and have been reading my way through the available info.
I understand that the Fine Offset sensors are suitable for use within the setup ... but, is the UV sensor that is incorporated into the Fine Offset WS3083 suitable for use within the WeatherDuino system as I have a couple of spare units floating around in the cupboard ???

Thanks

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Currently the WeatheDuino supports two models of UV sensors:
UVM-30A
VEML6075

For a complete list of all sensors supported by the WeatherDuino system, please refer to this link on the WeatherDuino Wiki
https://wiki.weatherduino.com/supported_...nstruments

Regards
MeteoCercal - Air Quality Data
Click here to watch at my ThingSpeak channel

(13-07-2019, 00:34)Werk_AG Wrote:
(12-07-2019, 21:43)jeffd2651 Wrote: I'm definitely committing myself to building one of these weather station systems and have been reading my way through the available info.

Thanks

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Currently the WeatheDuino supports two models of UV sensors:
UVM-30A
VEML6075

For a complete list of all sensors supported by the WeatherDuino system, please refer to this link on the WeatherDuino Wiki
https://wiki.weatherduino.com/supported_...nstruments

Regards

Many Thanks
(12-07-2019, 21:43)jeffd2651 Wrote:  I have a couple of spare units floating around in the cupboard ???
Hi,

If you mean the FO "Solar Pods" then I have several too.  They contain a complete microcontroller system which generates the entire "Wireless Protocol Solar Data Packet" as a digital (0 - 3v) data stream.  They receive a 3 volt supply from the batteries in the "External Sensors module" (which it attempts to recharge in daylight) and directly drives the transmitter in that module.  The FO transmission format is "known" so it is possible to decode the "Lux" and "UV" values, either from the 3v logic signal or after reception of the 433 MHz transmission.

Unfortunately, Weatherduino does NOT support reception of any of the Fine Offset data streams, instead it uses the Arduino "Radiohead" Library and also has some legacy support for the "Auriol" transmitters (433 MHz but with a different to Fine Offset, only partially documented, Wireless Protocol).  "One Day" I would like to try to adapt the Weatherduino (/Auriolduino) software to receive the Fine Offset Transmissions (as it does for Auriol), but I really struggle with Arduino programming, partly because I actively hate C++.  Sad

As for "adapting" the Pod; there is space inside for two AAA cells (NiMH) or perhaps a single LiFePO4 (3.2v) which the internal PV panel should charge.  It's also possible to add a transmitter module, similar to those used by the Weatherduino, to produce a completely self-supporting Pod, which is something I have done myself.  Whether the data it produces is "worthwhile" is another matter: The Light Level is officially "Lux" (0 - 400,00 in units of 0.1 Lux !) not Watts/m2, although I believe it uses a sensor with a "normal" meteorological (Visible + IR) response so conversion should be possible.  However the "UV Index" is reported in only 15 steps (binary) and IMHO probably has little relevance to the true UV Index.

I guess you're "odintheterrible" on the Cumulus forum, where there is more information about the Solar Pod and the Fine Offset sensors in general, particularly in the "Photos/Insides Of.." sticky threads.  BTW, check that you don't have a "Hall effect" version of the FO Wind Vane because I don't believe it is (currently) compatible with the Weatherduino.  Or if you do have one, then maybe I can help.  Wink

Cheers,  Alan.
(13-07-2019, 10:43)AllyCat Wrote:
(12-07-2019, 21:43)jeffd2651 Wrote:  I have a couple of spare units floating around in the cupboard ???
Hi,

If you mean the FO "Solar Pods" then I have several too.  They contain a complete microcontroller system which generates the entire "Wireless Protocol Solar Data Packet" as a digital (0 - 3v) data stream.  They receive a 3 volt supply from the batteries in the "External Sensors module" (which it attempts to recharge in daylight) and directly drives the transmitter in that module.  The FO transmission format is "known" so it is possible to decode the "Lux" and "UV" values, either from the 3v logic signal or after reception of the 433 MHz transmission.

Unfortunately, Weatherduino does NOT support reception of any of the Fine Offset data streams, instead it uses the Arduino "Radiohead" Library and also has some legacy support for the "Auriol" transmitters (433 MHz but with a different to Fine Offset, only partially documented, Wireless Protocol).  "One Day" I would like to try to adapt the Weatherduino (/Auriolduino) software to receive the Fine Offset Transmissions (as it does for Auriol), but I really struggle with Arduino programming, partly because I actively hate C++.  Sad

As for "adapting" the Pod; there is space inside for two AAA cells (NiMH) or perhaps a single LiFePO4 (3.2v) which the internal PV panel should charge.  It's also possible to add a transmitter module, similar to those used by the Weatherduino, to produce a completely self-supporting Pod, which is something I have done myself.  Whether the data it produces is "worthwhile" is another matter: The Light Level is officially "Lux" (0 - 400,00 in units of 0.1 Lux !) not Watts/m2, although I believe it uses a sensor with a "normal" meteorological (Visible + IR) response so conversion should be possible.  However the "UV Index" is reported in only 15 steps (binary) and IMHO probably has little relevance to the true UV Index.

I guess you're "odintheterrible" on the Cumulus forum, where there is more information about the Solar Pod and the Fine Offset sensors in general, particularly in the "Photos/Insides Of.." sticky threads.  BTW, check that you don't have a "Hall effect" version of the FO Wind Vane because I don't believe it is (currently) compatible with the Weatherduino.  Or if you do have one, then maybe I can help.  Wink

Cheers,  Alan.

Greetings,
What an intuitive chappie you are Wink LOL ... indeed, yes ... OTT LOL
Reference your comment about '"Hall effect" version of the FO Wind Vane' ... again I have a couple of these things in the cupboard; some older, some newer ... how do I identify if the FO Wind Vane uses the 'Hall effect' or not ??
Thanks
Hi,

I don't know for certain as I've never had one to test, but if you spin the Wind Vane and listen carefully, the Magnetic Reed version should make a faint "ticking" sound as the reed switches open and close.  The Hall Effect sensor version should be silent (unless FO have found another batch of really grotty ball bearing assemblies Smile ).

There's a photo of the inside of the Hall Vane sensor as (currently) the last post (on page #10) of the Cumulus Forum and the Magnetic Reed version on Page 1 of the same thread.

Cheers,  Alan..