This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[Pro2 PLUS] warning about some 2.8 SPI TFT (ILI9341) displays on eBay.
Recently some eBay sellers started sell what appear to be a new version that isn't a replacement of our well know ILI9341 2.8 SPI TFT display.
What makes things worse is that, a large number of sellers are selling these new version without knowing that it is quite diferent (they are only sellers, not tecnicians), and don't even have changed the pictures in their listing. If you could see both versions, side by side you will see they are quite diferrent.

What seems to be the latest version, is not compatible with WeatherDuino. The display will work fine, but the touch panel will not work.

So, if you have received from an eBay seller one of those new hardware versions, and the seller isn't upgraded the listing pictures to reflect a correct picture of the new item, you can reclain for a refund, based in the "item is not as pictured".

To illustrate this, here are some very poor quality pictures

Back Side

On the left, new PCB new circuit.
On the right, our well know ILI9341 2.8 SPI TFT display

Front Side

On the left, the new PCB. Please note that connection of the touch panel is at a completely different position. Readings will also be different in range and value.
On the right, our well know ILI9341 2.8 SPI TFT display.
MeteoCercal - Air Quality Data
Click here to watch at my ThingSpeak channel

(14-03-2018, 20:56)Werk_AG Wrote: Recently some eBay sellers started sell what appear to be a new version that isn't a replacement of our well know ILI9341 2.8 SPI TFT display.
What makes things worse is that, a large number of sellers are selling these new version without knowing that it is quite diferent (they are only sellers, not tecnicians), and don't even have changed the pictures in their listing. If you could see both versions, side by side you will see they are quite diferrent.

What seems to be the latest version, is not compatible with WeatherDuino. The display will work fine, but the touch panel will not work.

So, if you have received from an eBay seller one of those new hardware versions, and the seller isn't upgraded the listing pictures to reflect a correct picture of the new item, you can reclain for a refund, based in the "item is not as pictured".

Back Side

Front Side

On the left, the new PCB. Please note that connection of the touch panel is at a completely different position. Readings will also be different in range and value.

Great :-)
I have this "new" version ... touch is really not working with WeatherDuino ...
Unfortunatelly I have it already few weeks so no way to reclaim
Do you know what is different and if it would be too hard to get it working ?

thx
(25-03-2018, 19:14)gekk-cz Wrote:
(14-03-2018, 20:56)Werk_AG Wrote: Recently some eBay sellers started sell what appear to be a new version that isn't a replacement of our well know ILI9341 2.8 SPI TFT display.

Back Side

Front Side

Great :-)

thx

Werk,
while on the issue of displays would this work, larger display with same touch controller chip. 
Ebay data
 3.2 inch TFT LCD Module Display With Touch Panel SD Card 240x320 than 128x64 LCD

( 262714120618 )
(26-03-2018, 01:27)Barrow4491 Wrote: Werk,
while on the issue of displays would this work, larger display with same touch controller chip. 
Ebay data
 3.2 inch TFT LCD Module Display With Touch Panel SD Card 240x320 than 128x64 LCD

( 262714120618 )

Vendor says its an ILI9341, for me its an SSD1289. Does it work is SPI mode? Too many pins, it seems parallel mode.

(25-03-2018, 19:14)gekk-cz Wrote: Great :-)

thx

Any user which receives one of those "new" versions from an eBay seller should immediately check it the picture on the product list is diferent of the received product, if yes, contact immediately the seller requesting a return based on the fact that the received product doesn't match the pictured product.
Don't accept any excuse from the vender and go up to escalate the case to eBay resolution center.

I had a recent issue with these "new" displays, and at the end the seller opted by a full refund instead of pay for the return of the product. eBay imposed that the seller should pay for the return, as I proved that the received product isn't as pictured.

Quote:Do you know what is different and if it would be too hard to get it working ?

The only difference is the type of touch panel (less sensitive and lower resolution). It is also rotated in relation to original.
Yes, it is somewhat hard to adapt the existing code to work with it.

(26-03-2018, 02:28)Werk_AG Wrote:
(25-03-2018, 19:14)gekk-cz Wrote: Great :-)

thx

Any user which receives one of those "new" versions from an eBay seller should immediately check it the picture on the product list is diferent of the received product, if yes, contact immediately the seller requesting a return based on the fact that the received product doesn't match the pictured product.
Don't accept any excuse from the vender and go up to escalate the case to eBay resolution center.

I had a recent issue with these "new" displays, and at the end the seller opted by a full refund instead of pay for the return of the product. eBay imposed that the seller should pay for the return, as I proved that the received product isn't as pictured.

Quote:Do you know what is different and if it would be too hard to get it working ?

The only difference is the type of touch panel (less sensitive and lower resolution). It is also rotated in relation to original.
Yes, it is somewhat hard to adapt the existing code to work with it.

OK, thanks for explanation of differences Werk_AG
My touchscreen arrived already in December, so I'll leave it in drawer and will use it in another project.
I've already ordered another one, hopefully correct type will arive... otherwise I'll have second useless but now maybe for free after refund :-D
it's really hard to find the old screens, I found a model still different from others.

[Image: s-l1600.jpg]

ebay ad: https://www.ebay.co.uk/

It remains to be seen if it works
On the contrary, I am calling for a new version and I can not talk to anyone:

Best Regards
Zdenek

[Image: banner.php]
My outdoor AQM-I: here
(09-04-2018, 17:40)hornychz Wrote: On the contrary, I am calling for a new version and I can not talk to anyone:

The statement of that seller isn't true. Contrary to what the seller say, you can't use the new ones in a project designed for the older models. As said in previous posts, the screen will work, but the touch panel not.

Unfortunately most of the sellers not even know what they are selling.

(09-04-2018, 17:28)f4aii Wrote: it's really hard to find the old screens, I found a model still different from others.

[Image: s-l1600.jpg]

ebay ad: https://www.ebay.co.uk/

It remains to be seen if it works

Out of curiosity, when it arrives please report which chip is installed on the backside of the board. XPT2046 or HR2046 ?