Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

"Palmy Weather" Goes live with Air Quality Monitor
Smile 

The WeatherDuino Air Quality Monitor has been available for just over 6 weeks now, the latest project release to a fantastic range of circuit boards designed to monitor our environment.

This is a well priced little addition to an often forgotten part of our environment - the air we breath. This Air Quality Monitor will wirelessly transmit to the WeatherDunio Pro2 Receiver to display the data. But one does not have to worry if they do not have a Pro2 Receiver, because this system can also operate as a standalone project if an LCD screen is attached.

As the Air Quality Monitor can operate as an independent product, the possibilities are endless. It could be moved around to assess different locations and environments.

It is a very straight forward project to solder together and the parts needed are also easy to find online. With very few components needed, this can be up and running in an afternoon. A great starting point for those who may not have had much experience with soldering before or would like to test the waters of what the WeatherDunio projects can offer.

Earlier this week I permanently mounted my Air Quality Monitor outside to start gathering real environmental data after a couple of weeks of inside testing. I opted to use the wireless transition method to get the data back to my WeatherDunio Pro2 Receiver. The Pro2 Receiver also uploads the data, through the Cumulus Weather Software, to my website for my end users to view.

With the latest development to the WeatherDunio Pro2 Receiver, you do not even need to have your own website or be using Cumulus to be able to publish or access this data. By signing up free to thingSpeak, the Pro2 Receiver will upload the data every 10 minutes and graph the results.

I found this project straight forward to assemble and get working. Once again the hold back in completing the project faster was the delivery time for individual components that needed to be sourced; some suppliers are faster than others.

It took me 9 hours to mount the circuit into the final enclosure, but I am very happy with how it turned out. I have decided to go for dedicated, independent setup so I could mount it in a different location to my other weather station hardware. A solar panel was chosen to recharge a battery so it kept the system free from wires. Mains power is also an option for this project through a 9VDC transformer. I decided to used a transmitter/radiation shield from an old Fine Offset weather station to house all the environmental sensors in, surprisingly, everything fits nice and snug inside while maintaining good air flow and shelter from rain.

If you would like to see what data I am gathering from my system, you can view it on my personal website, http://palmyweather.co.nz/air , or though my ThingSpeak profile, https://thingspeak.com/channels/339669

I highly recommend giving this project a go, either as a standalone system, or a fun and exciting addition to your existing WeatherDuino weather station.

Messages In This Thread